What are correct bolts and nuts for ram air support brackets?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
brackets? Looked at someone else's car and the bolts were zinc dichromate and were opposite what is shown in the pic from my mach. The pic shows captive nuts on the bracket and the bolts going thru the radiator support from the rear. What is correct?

20200919_164536.jpg

This area was confusing.  Here is what I did.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am guessing you mean the Hood Lock brackets that are really not related to the Ram Air was a stand alone option that included the hood black or argent. It was only $18.00 in 73.

I am original owner I cleaned them up last year but did not have re plated. The brackets are zinc with clear chromate. The bolls are zinc with yellow dicromate. The typical fender nuts that are black zinc. No good close up pics.. Yes I have the flat hood springs but when the hinges are lubed up good and you rock the car it will drop so I keep a prop rod so I do not get banged. 

DSC_0948.JPG

DSC_0949.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a difference in the captive nut on the top of the core support for hood lock equipped cars vs. those not equipped?

My car has had the support replaced and the captive nut where the bumper threads into sits quite proud of the surface preventing the hood lock bracket from sitting down flush on the core support top.

I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill here but figured I'd ask. See below...

Core Support Question.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back