351C 2V Intake, Carb, Distributor, Rebuild the whole lot.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiko619

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1972 Grande Coupe
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the midst of purchasing everything I'm going to be needing for an upgrade. The car is dead stock I figured who better to ask than those who've already gone through the headaches. This will be a build for a weekend/fun driving car and that its reliable. (not breaking down)just trying to pump out the most i can out of this car.  I will be taking having the a long block rebuild and have its internals professionally installed and dialed in.

Carb: Holley; 750CFM Quick Fuel

- is it overkill? maybe, but then again maybe it'll suffice later on in tandem to the cam and remainder upgrades.

Intake:  Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap

- ive read that clearance issues will exist if Ram-Air was a selection down the road

Distributor: JEGS; HEI   (its definitely bigger... :lollerz: )

- definitely questioning this I mean this piece of machinery is almost 3 times the size... Ultimately, I just wanted to do away with the separate coil. Its 2020 so I find it hard to believe upgrading from points to HEI isn't as reliable conversion from what I've read... a modernized ignition system (minus the EFI for the time being) would be nice. 

Starter: JEGS; ProStarter

- weighing in at a whopping 8.8lbs and a little under half the size from stock. im keeping this.

Headers: Hooker <3

- I think everyone can agree that this is a standard.

Tranny: FMX

- seeking an AOD down the road for long drives; I've read this is a must upgrade when the time comes.)

Comp Cam, Lifters, Rockers arms, springs, and other internals.

- Still looking for parts to accommodate for the current items.

Please feel free to chime in with y'all have to say suggestions and conflicting ideas. I'm all ears for learning.

Carb - size is good, might want to get a model with annular discharge boosters.

Intake - good intake, yeah - it's kinda tall

Distributor - fuhgetaboutit.  Going to be a problem down the road with RamAir or any air filter for that matter. Lots of other good options. 

Starter - big waste of $$. If you want a more modern starter, get a PMGR unitfrom a late lodel 5.0 Mustang. 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1993,mustang,5.0l+v8,1134076,electrical,starter+motor,4152

Headers - spot on

Tranny - FMX is a good unit, but a built AOD will make for a nice cruiser.

Valvetrain & cam - all depends upon the heads. #1 is to get rid of the stock multigroove valves. SI, Qualcast, Ferrea or Manley here. Call a custom cam grinder and give them the specs on engine, heads, drivetrain and realistic usage. A 4V head uses a completely different spec cam from a 2V. 

Carb - size is good, might want to get a model with annular discharge boosters.

Distributor - fuhgetaboutit.  Going to be a problem down the road with RamAir or any air filter for that matter. Lots of other good options. 

Starter - big waste of $$. If you want a more modern starter, get a PMGR unitfrom a late lodel 5.0 Mustang. 

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1993,mustang,5.0l+v8,1134076,electrical,starter+motor,4152

Valvetrain & cam - all depends upon the heads. #1 is to get rid of the stock multigroove valves. SI, Qualcast, Ferrea or Manley here. Call a custom cam grinder and give them the specs on engine, heads, drivetrain and realistic usage. A 4V head uses a completely different spec cam from a 2V. 
Carb- noted, I didnt think that actually could be applicable, Bernoulli's Principle... I'm wondering if there's a kit sold to swap out the parts the boosters.

Distributor - I already had a feeling about this being a problem just wanted that second opinion for sure. So, is it the HEI units that cause the clearance issues? or JEGS brand that's just massive? I know to stay away from ProComp. I've had their products before and its a hit miss for problematic stuff... Unfortunately, I was got hit. I got hit nonstop. get what you pay for... :classic_sad:

Starter - awe man really? I thought this was going to be a good one :( 

Valvetrian & Cam - will do. Once I get the recommendations ill post them here.

If anyone else has an opposing view or supporting info with tweaks or suggestions chime on in. My background is not car mechanics and all this is fairly new to me. I have a stronger focus on aerodynamics. YouTube only goes so far on how to read and understand this. Thank you in advance to everyone here.

Good advice from Hemi.

As to the distributor, HEIs have to be big and ugly so there is room for the coil in them. Never could understand why people want the HEIs, DuraSpark, especially red grommet ones, have much better electronics.

What do you plan to do with the car? A smaller carb will provide better throttle response for all around drivability. The larger carb will produce better top end power. It's all about making it fit your intended usage. 

I'm using a 650ish vacuum secondary Holley with an Edelbrock performer and a Ford Duraspark distributor and stock exhaust manifolds (MUCH quieter and no maintenance). The car runs good and drives great. 

@Don C After i opened up the box and test fitted the Distributor yeah, its really not attractive. Reason to getting its was to clean up the clutter in the engine compartment, there just seems to be an excess of auxiliary connections for a system to run. The distributor would be more fitting for a truck based on it size alone. 

@droptop73 well I plan for the car to just be the fun nights/weekends. I drive a lot on highways so getting that top end power will be seen frequently; especially when comes to the passing on the left. Thanks for the input on your set up! (I hear Holley is the trouble child; constantly seeking attention. lol)

I have a 750 cfm vacuum secondary Holley and have no problems with throttle response or driveability. Carburetor setup and timing are all that are needed.

As to Holleys being a problem, after getting it dialed in it should be fine for months, if not years. 

Sticking one of those distributors on does not clean up the engine compartment. When GM started using them their distributors were in the rear of the engine, hidden by the air cleaner.

I have a 750 cfm vacuum secondary Holley and have no problems with throttle response or driveability. Carburetor setup and timing are all that are needed.

As to Holleys being a problem, after getting it dialed in it should be fine for months, if not years. 

Sticking one of those distributors on does not clean up the engine compartment. When GM started using them their distributors were in the rear of the engine, hidden by the air cleaner.
I think the dialing it in will be the challenge hopefully its not too bad. well seeing as how big they are i might as well return it and get the smaller ones, ill look on other threads and see what are the better choices out there. Do you have a recommendation of your own? something that wont break the bank preferably  :classic_wacko:

Current best bang-for-the-buck carb out there is the Summit unit. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08750vs
well with the whole return policy from holley and at the expense of shipping costs ill stick to the one I have now. great info for a friend of mine who's still looking so thanks!

Back