why am I blowing up ignition coils?

73 351 2V, Mostly stock except for Summit 600cfm carb, Eldebrock performer intake and Mallory Unilite Dist. Replaced ignition module in dist. last year. Few months later had to replace the Accel coil - it had cracked and was shorting out. Was on the car when I got it 3-4 years ago. Same thing happened today. Accel coil cracked at base of coil wire tower and is shorting out. I there a known problem with standard Accel coils or is something else happening to cause it? This one has been on the car less than a year. Car runs great  - until it doesn't.  Coincidence that this started when I replaced ignition module?

Also, can you post a picture of the coil location?

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

I've tried a couple of Accel products years ago, one was a coil 20+ years ago, had a weak spark. The other was their point conversion module, 15+/- years ago, the adapter brackets it came with were garbage, couldn't keep it adjusted right, even when it was working it didn't seem like the spark production was right, kept miss firing.

So, I'm not surprised they're still having problems.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, mbrew2 said:

So, What are coil recommendations. What are ya'll running. Really don't want to get stranded somewhere on the road again!

Get a good looking girl friend who wears short shorts and is willing to stick a thumb out for a ride.  Can't get any better than that if you're stranded!

spacer.png

• Like 1

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

Flamicon2.jpg

http://www.7173mustangs.com/banners/oldfart.png