New guy

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldbutNew

Reaction score
OK, let me get this out right off the bat: I have a Cougar. Reject me if you must, but the forums for the '73 Cougar aren't the most active forums on the web. I also have an '88 LX hatch and my wife has a '2019 GT. Does that help? 

Seriously, I picked up a '73 XR7 roller for a new project for several reasons:

First; I wanted something different. A '73 Cougar in that bright robin's-egg blue is nothing if not different.

Second; I wanted to challenge myself. This is the only generation of Mustang I have NOT had down to bare bones. I've been involved with restorations on a '65 Coupe, a '66 fastback, a '70 FB, several Fox bodies, an SN95 New Edge, and current S550's. I'm not really interested in a Mustang II, (I don't consider it a Mustang) and an '05-2010 isn't all that "different". 

Third; I have been an engine builder for a long, long time. Of the hundreds of Ford engines I have built, I have never done a 429 / 460. Lots of 351C's. And I hate FE's. But never a Big Block. It's time.  

Speaking of time, it's late. I'll post up pix later. If I get accepted. I'm mainly here to gather information. I'll contribute where I feel I can, but I'm mainly here to lurk and learn. 

Welcome aboard from League City Texas!  I like the coogs in our time frame.  Post some pics as I am eager to see whatcha got!

Welcome aboard from N.E. Ohio.  Sounds like you've been around the block a few times. There is a lot of good info on this web site.  Any and all info you can provide about engine "do's and don't" will be most welcome! 

Hello from Louisiana.  We like Cougars too!

Welcome from west Michigan. 

We usually try to keep the riff raff out but we can make an exception! LOL!!
Yer policy is not real effective if you let me in! Well, I'm definitely an exception! 

Seems to be lots of folks in the Michigan / Ohio region. I'm between Toledo and Detroit.

I see guys from Oregon, Nebraska, and Texas too. Great! Somebody to find us rust-free sheet metal!!  

Took a pic of what I drug home. Yes, the wheels have GOT to go!!

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Cougar.jpg

Welcome from NC!  Very cool car brother. 

Thanks Lazarus. Are those late model Mustang 17" wheels? Like '03 Mach? 

They look great on your car! And I WILL be shopping for wheels!!

Thanks!  Yep, they are 99-04 Bullitt rims. I actually got them as a placeholder because when I got the car it was a rusty basketcase with several different wheel types on it and I couldn’t decide which of those was the ugliest. The Bullitts are dirt cheap on craigslist around here, often with tires on them, so I grabbed a pristine set and threw them on. Anyway, once I got the car painted those placeholder wheels really grew on me and I just left them on there. 

I really like the Cougars in our years. I occasionally dream of getting one, putting a slightly raked stance to give it a bit more aggressive feel, perhaps paint a darker shade somewhere under the lower body line/rocker to slim it a bit, and maybe dream up a way to make a hidden headlight effect on the front. I swear the grille and surround are begging for a hidden headlight. But then again I am not a stickler for originality, and sometimes have some crazy ideas when it comes to muscle cars  

Anyway, best of luck on the build. Can’t wait to see it with a big block in it!

Thanks!  Yep, they are 99-04 Bullitt rims. I actually got them as a placeholder because when I got the car it was a rusty basketcase with several different wheel types on it and I couldn’t decide which of those was the ugliest. The Bullitts are dirt cheap on craigslist around here, often with tires on them, so I grabbed a pristine set and threw them on. Anyway, once I got the car painted those placeholder wheels really grew on me and I just left them on there. 

I really like the Cougars in our years. I occasionally dream of getting one, putting a slightly raked stance to give it a bit more aggressive feel, perhaps paint a darker shade somewhere under the lower body line/rocker to slim it a bit, and maybe dream up a way to make a hidden headlight effect on the front. I swear the grille and surround are begging for a hidden headlight. But then again I am not a stickler for originality, and sometimes have some crazy ideas when it comes to muscle cars  

Anyway, best of luck on the build. Can’t wait to see it with a big block in it!

Thanks for the tip on those wheels. I think they look great on your car. And yes they are relatively easy to find and reasonable!!

I have a set of CRAZY 19" wheels that will be up for sale pretty soon: Staggered, "tuner" looking 5-spokes, polished lip, white center, you may have seen them on this very forum recently... Just in case you know somebody in the market.  :biggrin:

Back