part number needed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351c 4v, C6 trans, grabber blue with white interior
I would like to find the part number for the dual port distributor vacuum advance canister for my 71 Mach1, 351c 4V. I want to buy an NOS part as opposed to the generic repro part that is typically sold.

I know the base number is 12370 but dont know which letters are on the front i.e. D1FZ,C8AZ. I thought they were pretty much interchangeable between years and were the same as long as they had 2 ports.

However, in reading, it sounded like the more performance cars received a different calibration of vacuum advance. Is this true?

Hoping that someone knows the answer or can check an original part to verify the part number.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
The part number, not usually the casting number, is D0OF-12127-V for standard transmission CA. and rest of US. D1OF-12127-LA for auto trans in CA. D0OF-12127-G for rest of US standard trans. If I remember correctly, the diaphragms starting in 1971 were not adjustable as in previous years. Try the Boss 302 and Concours Mustang sites for sources. Chuck

When i got my car new I complained about the performance. So they put a Ford kit in the distributor. It went from vacuum advance to centrifugal. They actually left the vacuum canister there because that indexes the cap. Involved a new points plate and new cam and shaft in the distributor. Had an assortment of springs to calibrate it.

Back