Toploader rebuild update

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
429CJ, 4 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock N case, A/C, P/W, tilt, fold down seats, int. wipers, deluxe interior.
So glad to have this done! 
all sorts of goodies

New rebuild kit (bearings, needles, seals, gaskets, o-rings, synchros, snap rings) 

New 2nd, 3rd, 4th (input) gear

New 1-2 and 3-4 slider assembly 

Had it sand blasted down to bare cast, primed and sealed with duplicolor engine paint (cast iron color) 

Filled with fresh 80w-90.

First time every doing this, huge thanks to you guys as well as the “work bench how to” books.

8F1DA6F2-61D5-49FF-8B06-5FC9EB1AFEBB.jpeg

Just make sure when you get it in the car to double check the gear lube level.  I know from experience that they run quieter and shift easier with oil in them versus dry.

kcmash

By chance did you spread a dab of RTV around the mating surface of the tailshaft and output shaft seal when you banged in it?  I replaced my seal twice and the gear oil found a way to seep out between the two surfaces.  Third time was a charm with a dab of RTV.

By chance did you spread a dab of RTV around the mating surface of the tailshaft and output shaft seal when you banged in it?  I replaced my seal twice and the gear oil found a way to seep out between the two surfaces.  Third time was a charm with a dab of RTV.
 Why yes I did! 

Back