door handles replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
My door handles are starting to show their age. I was wondering if the repops are any good. I am worried about the finish and fit.  I have not see any NOS in my price range and the used ones are worse that then ones I currently  have.

John J

I hear that the repo does not fit the hole in the doors. I have a set of repo ones but have not tried to install. I am out of shop for a while due to surgery. There is a set of NOS on facebook page but they look to be pitted. I understand there is only one repo made might have different names on them but same castings. Do a search on here I have seen it come up before.

I had trouble with the repos on my 71 fastback.  The original old one fitted fine.  The repos were a little bigger and I had to beat the inner part of the bracket back in to make it deeper and wider.  A great thing to have to do on a freshly painted car.  Below are a couple of pics before I made any adjustments.  As you can see the new ones are wider and stick out some.  You might be ok.  It seems that it varies from one door to another.  I got mine to fit after making the necessary adjustments - last picture..  

20191225_155031_resized.jpg

20191225_154926_resized.jpg

Hitting.jpg

Handle new.jpg

20200428_141211_resized_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There was another discussion a while back on these, and ordered by NPD the reproductions they have as mine were badly pitted, 20 buxx a piece was not that of a disaster/loss may they'd be crap and worth the bet.
I must say the ones I've received are of real good quality, refreshing for once. I'd even dare to say the finish looks better than my originals (we'll see if they last 50 years too :)  ). Same dimensions and ok fit for me. Only diff was the rubber stop behind the handle that is too thick (exactly twice as the original) causing the handle to stick out (also visible on the pict above). Once shaved to the original height, they align perfectly.

Back