'73 Q code 351C-4v carb and dizzy suggestions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
1973 Q code I am swapping in a 1970 square bore manifold, need suggestions as to best carb, was looking at Holley Street Brawler 750cfm, elec choke, mechanical secondaries (about 100-150 less than the double pumper with same specs) though I am open to other suggestions. I need to keep the height close to stock as I intend to add either a nasa hood with ram air or the shaker intake.

secondly, dizzy is in poor shape, need to go to electronic, am considering petronix II rtr replacement dizzy with the petronix 1.5 ohm coil using the original resistance wire in order to keep original tach, I don't want to have to replace/reedo the tach. Am open to other suggestions

72368481-770-0@2X.jpg

Over the years I have used Motorcraft, Holley and Edelbrock carbs, MSD, Pertronix, single and dual point ignitions. For street driving, all around performance and reliability I like Summit carbs and Duraspark ignitions.

You should not run a Pertronix Ignitor II on less than 12 V, You CAN run an Ignitor I on resisted, but it is less capable. I'm sure you've read many posts on carbs and distributors, lots has been written on the subject. From personal experience, it is not enough to simply swap points for a PI or PII (or any other brand) into a stock dizzy without having it rebuilt if needed and certainly re-curved. Without knowledge it can be a tough job for many. It took me several years to finally figure it out. Best advice, spend the money and buy a Duraspark system. Lots has been posted on that lately.

Carb, although I've not tried one, most think the Summit M2008 series is a good choice, that or a Quick Fuel of your choice. Personally, I like the HR series, but more expensive.

The same applies to the Pertronix II distributor, works best with 12 volts. Bypass the resistor wire and use a 0.6 ohm primary resistance coil. An alternative is to use the Pertronix relay to provide 12 volts to the coil and distributor, using the resistor wire to trigger the relay.

I would look for adjustability/tune-ability in both parts. No two engines are the same. Adjustability allows optimization of both parts. Some of the "ready to run" sound like a good deal but, I've not tried one. The Summit carb Don mentioned is a good carb. Some of the Quick Fuel (now owned by Holley) have good adjustability at a reasonable price. Chuck

Latest posts

Back