Mushroom to oil catch can...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande 351C
71 Mach 1 429CJ
I'm after the wise guidance of the members of this very forum: Anyone installed a custom oil catch can?

I have atm some push-in chromy mushroom with filter on my valve cover. And as I plan to actually drive and breath at same time
I want replace that with something less vapory stinky and prevent the oil deposits on the side of the cover.

There are quite a few models avail online, ranging from 25 to 250buxx, where the diff is mainly on wether you have a baffle and/or a (bronze or SS) filter inside so the oil is really kept.
But not really knowing what is suitable for a big displacement, I presume I need one with bigger filter and/or volume. Also not sure if recirculating the air to intake is a good idea (engine wise). Red lots of contradicting opinions on this. So may be one with filter at the end might be better?

My car is being painted green this week, so it needs act a bit like it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way is to have a functioning PCV system. That way you won't have an open breather. The oil fumes get sucked into the engine via the intake manifold, and fresh air is supplied to the crankcase by a tube connected to the air cleaner. 

@Don C

Yeah but see I was young and stoopid once, and of course, all these parts were thrown away! :D

So now, I need something that pushes into my chinese plated covers and some guidance for what is a fairly ok can/filter for a 6 litres engine! I have no air filter casing either (air filters are inside a custom ram-air plenum that fits the EFI when hood is closed). May I'd do something similar circuit, where is the inlet for the fresh air originally? On the other cover/fillcap?

@Tnfastbk thx, yes the kevko is what I thought to buy (similar), but not sure how big it should be. Do you run that one? How is your pcv connected?  
No just the PCV valve and it hooks up just like a stock one. The good thing about it is you set it to the vacuum of your motor. I think that there was a few threads about the valve on the site some while back.

The PCV valve inserts into the cap on the driver side valve cover, the breather hose inserts into the cap on the valve cover on the passenger side. The breather hose can connect to your air intake any place prior to the throttle body. This is just the way the stock configuration is, the hoses can be connected to either side, though.

There are a variety of caps and rubber grommets available, one should fit your valve covers.

The filter element on the catch can will still get oily from the fumes, then you'll have to come up with a way to clean or replace the filter element.

I have an oil separator on a supercharged 2007 Mustang GT. You would be surprised how much oil accumulates especially when driving hard on the track. I feel it is a requirement for any boosted application and not a bad idea for normally aspirated engines. The separator as plates/baffle to help the oil condense and keep it in the container rather than an air and oil mist and being pulled back into the engine. Oil vapor in the combustion chamber lowers the effective octane and increases the chance of detonation. Chuck

Moroso make two sizes, both get good reviews. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85497

Roy, Did the adjustable PCV valve result in any idle quality improvement or increased manifold vacuum at idle? I've looked at the for several years but I keep choking on the price. Thanks, Chuck

Roy, Did the adjustable PCV valve result in any idle quality improvement or increased manifold vacuum at idle? I've looked at the for several years but I keep choking on the price. Thanks, Chuck
I can tell you that from my experience I did not see any difference in vacuum or idle quality. I installed it a few months ago and no noticeable difference. 

@rc9zx  "You would be surprised how much oil accumulates especially when driving hard on the track"
Indeed, I saw few vids on the subject, and one showed a huge can getting almost full in just one run on a fairly wild supercharged/boosted engine. They added a back to sump line later on.

I know from the past (when i was actually driving the car daily) that I won't need that much of a volume, my goal being here just to limit/get rid of the nasty smelly fumes and ensure that the air going back into the intake is clean enough to not generate some growing goo mess over time.

@tony-muscle " I did not see any difference in vacuum or idle quality."

May be the pressure build up is lower than what your valve setting is allowing to go thru acting like the original pcv valve.

@tony-muscle " I did not see any difference in vacuum or idle quality."

May be the pressure build up is lower than what your valve setting is allowing to go thru acting like the original pcv valve.
I adjusted the valve per the instructions. I don't know if I should have expected any noticeable difference. Have anyone noticed a difference using the Wagner adjustable valve?

It seemed to solve some of the issues I had. Vacuum wise I have very little so I never rechecked anything on that. I have nothing that runs on vacuum so no reason to dwell on that. but like I said seemed to help with the blow by and I was passing oil past the rear main and it help that issue tremendously. Seems 408s are notorious for that.

Sorry for the HIjack

Back