Air cleaner assembly suggestions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
I have a 1971 Mach 1, non ram air hood, 351 C, edelbrock performer rpm, MSD distributor, Holley avenger carb. I need an air filter assembly that will clear the hood and the distributor. Any recommendations? 

The way I selected mine was by measuring the available space. Measure from the air cleaner stud on the carburetor to the closest point on the distributor, then double that measurement, that will give you the maximum diameter. Measure the distance from the air cleaner flange on the carburetor to the lowest point on the hood directly above the carburetor. That will give you the maximum height of the air cleaner, subtract 1/2" from that for the wing nut.

For me it's original or nothing. Well "nothing" is not a option. On mine with a Nasa non ram air hood, I have a 1" fiber spacer under my Street Avenger carb on a stock manifold and I have plenty of clearance between  the air cleaner and hood. To check hood clearance, you can use plasticine pillars on top of the a/c and see how much it crushes when the hood closes. As you can see in this pic, there is loads of clearance between the a/c and stock distributor. That may give you an idea on how much you would have with an MSD. 

Factory air cleaners are available used if you don't have your original one. Put out a want ad in classifieds.

IMG_1484.JPG

If you want to increase air filter surface area (flow) and maintain hood clearance, look at drop base air cleaner. Also check bowl vent tube to air cleaner top clearance (.5 inch minimum, 1.0 inch better). Chuck

Clay on the air cleaner lid in 4 places gives accurate results easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stanglover  I have a stock air cleaner assembly that I repainted and purchased stickers to apply. Unfortunately the edelbrock performer intake height causes hood clearance issues. This is without any spacer added.  

Back