Removing hood

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
I want to paint the underside of my hood and need to remove it.   Anyone that can help is about 2 hours away from me so I am wondering if y'all (I live in the south after all) have removed a hood with just yourself and the wife?   I am thinking extreme padding at the bottom of the hood/ cowl to the point where when the bolts are removed it does not side anywhere, they we gently tip if forward and remove?  Any thoughts or experiences???   Thanks

No, but it might depend on how big and strong your wife is!! The hard part is lifting it up and over the open hood hinges. Leave the hinges on the aprons. The hood itself is really not that heavy, just awkward. 

I have done it by myself with the help of a bicycle hoist. I installed two above the hood. I lifted the hood with the hoists and left the hood stored on top for about a year while I did my work. Then used the hoists to lower the hood in position and reinstall.

I used these ones ($30 for two of them): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TFOPJA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed two in parallel and connected the hooks with ropes. The hood was held by the cross ropes. I also used padding between the ropes and hood. I had the rear cross rope held by the screws of the hinge, and the front cross rope going through the latch "hook" to prevent it from sliding it.

20171002_212716s.jpg

20171002_231258s.jpg

I pulled mine recently, I threw a rope over the ceiling joists and tied it to the hood latch, pulled it snug and tied it off, laid cardboard over the fenders and windshield, unbolted the hood, set it on the cardboard in front of the hinges and pulled the rope tight enough to start moving the hood forward, then lifted the back and walked it forward to where is would hang safely.  Not hard, I'm guessing if I could do it alone, any of you can.,

That's when having older kids is handy. The hard part is to actually get them near the hood, but after that, it's a breeze, only need to remind them that if they let it fall someone else will pay for their phone :)

This is a great thread, thanks for starting it.  I like Tony's solution,  would be useful for lifting ice shanties or whatever else...

A word of caution about hanging things from your ceiling. The bottom chord of a lot of normal sized garages are 2x4s and are part of a truss system designed to hold up the roof, not as a weight-carrying structure for attaching items to or as a storage space. No problem with light objects, such as bicycles.

The way Tony attached his, at four points, distributes the load out and lifting something like his hood will also be no problem.

Trying to lift an ice shack may be a different story, though, even if four attachment points are used. The ice shack is likely to weigh far more than a hood, or bicycles.

Ok I am good at this one, lol. I put pillows along the rear of the hood at the windshield. I have a prop rod to hold the hood up in the front. I take the two rear bolts out of the hinge then start backing off the two front. With the screws out and hood slid back on pillows on windshield I go to front and take the prop rod out and drop the hood. I reach as far as I can to the center and pick it up. I am 72 and crushed disc between 5 & 6 so cannot do much. 
I have removed my vert hood, Mach 1 hood and torn down two parts cars this way. All my friends died young so no help for me. I do miss those friends we use to work late on each others vehicles.

Gotta love the ingenuity going on here. 

I have a hoist already set up in my garage. It's lagged into the 2x8 rafters and runs in a barn door track. I used it to lift my winter (or summer) wheels up onto high shelves that go around the garage, If it'll lift 60+ lb wheels, it'll lift a hood, but unfortunately, not an engine.

I rebuilt a camper once and took the roof off to rebuild. Put new interior panels, new insulation and new exterior panels. I could not pic it up. Got on craigslist and had a family show up and for $20 they put the roof on the camper and then they were gone $20.00 for 5 min.  Did when I was building my work room. I framed the walls and could no way stand up a 26' wall. Craigslist and someone withing an hour got them $20.00 for 5 min. labor. 

Back