Help with Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jep1701

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang convertible with a Windsor V8. Bout in January 2020. Most of the interior is original and was repainted a few years ago.

[url=https://imgbb.com/][img]https://i.ibb.co/JQm71Bs/0.jpg[/img][/url]
Hi everyone,

You all have been a big help for a novice in the past so I have a new item.

I had a bunch of work done on my 73 vert. The electrical work included new wiring, starter relay and new alternator (I did the starter before this work was done). The mechanic did nothing to the convertible mech, but when I went to get the car the power switch did not work to put the top down. There appeared to be no power to the motor. 

I am still leaning to work on her, so I have several questions and any ideas and suggestion/advice would be great:

-I checked the starter relay and it look like the wire for the switch is reattached on the correct side. 

-It was suggested by a neighbor that the wire might have a fusible link. I started to look for this and so far have not seen it, but need more time when not rushed. If that is the problem, do I just get a new one and splice it in or do I need to run a whole new wire from the switch to the starter relay?

-I am really  green, especially with electrical work. I never even used a multi-tester. So any advice or tips on that would be great.  

Thanks in advance. You all have been great in helping so me and others.  I hope I explained everything, if not let me know and I will add more. 

Thanks,

John

I have several verts but not good at the wiring either, lol. I would start at the fuse box and make sure all are good. I do think there is a heavy wire from the solenoid on RH fender going to under the dash. There is a relay for the top also. I have hooked battery box straight to my top motor when i tested it. Since you are just looking for voltage you do not really need a meter get you a probe with point on it and a gator clip on wire. You ground the gator clip and probe with the pointed prob. You get a light if you have power. You can check both sides of the fuses to be sure you have contact. 

Convertibles get their power from the starter solenoid/battery side via a 20 amp circuit breaker.  If you're not getting power to the switch, the circuit breaker is probably the problem.  Power tops don't use the fuse box.

Hi Judge,

Here are some photos. Tried to take as many as possible from different angles. I'm starting to think our mechanic inadvertently did something when binding the wires. Had a hard time tracking the convertible wire. 

Thanks for any input. I really appreciate it. 

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Convertibles get their power from the starter solenoid/battery side via a 20 amp circuit breaker.  If you're not getting power to the switch, the circuit breaker is probably the problem.  Power tops don't use the fuse box.
Is there a specific location of this circuit breaker? I bet that is the problem. 

It looks to me like it is hidden under the Zenith ignition box, doesn't look like any wires are connected to it.
I took it off and look to be all hooked up. 

8D2C1CC1-B7A2-4E3F-AB82-3916A2797DD3.jpeg

EFCE8E23-28B2-41AC-8185-1320045AA5AE.jpeg

That's an aftermarket ignition box, nothing to do with the convertible top. What I was referring to is that little rectangular metal box that sat right below the Zenith box.

That's an aftermarket ignition box, nothing to do with the convertible top. What I was referring to is that little rectangular metal box that sat right below the Zenith box.
Yeah, that sure looks like it. 

You have three wires attached to the battery side of the starter solenoid: battery cable, alternator cable, main power lead (fusible link).  There's something immediately under the battery cable: either a washer or another ring connector.  if the latter, I'll bet it is the lead that should go to the circuit breaker vice the starter solenoid post.  The circuit breaker would be between this wire and the starter solenoid battery post.

Here's what mine looks like. The blue wire is attached to neg batt post from the gray box. The other side of the box (right side) has a multi wire connector plugged into it like yours. Wondering if yours isn't grounded?

WIN_20201017_20_29_33_Pro.jpg

Ok. Took more photos. (As a stressed out teacher should probably step away but I had more time this weekend to look at it and it is driving me crazy ).

In these photos I followed what I am positive is the line from the convertible switch. The line had a split. In the second photo it is a dead end. Then the other part of the lines goes to the end what looks to be a fuse or ground? Even thought the positive part of the starter solenoid has linked wires I am wondering if the mechanic working on it disconnected the positive for the switch and the line maybe goes nowhere somewhere else. That would mean while there is a wire attached to the positive it might not run anywhere now? He bound them all up so I would have to unbind them but before I do that wanted to send updated photos. 

I know one person said the solenoid is upside down but that might just be how the photo came across. 

Also I do believe the voltage regulator is grounded, I just could not get good photo. 

So from these photos did are mechanic not hook back up the convertible wire to a hot link?

I also added some more with the voltage regulator, as well. 

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The large female bullet is the lead for the optional underhood lamp. 

The convertible circuit breaker, if there is one, should hang directly down from the battery side of the starter solenoid, with another post/nut where the convertible power lead attaches. 

Here are pics of my 73 convert. The convertible top circuit breaker is circled in red. The fusible link is the orange connector and is factory labeled as fusible link. 

DSCF9454.JPG

DSCF9455.JPG

DSCF9457.JPG

DSCF9458.JPG

DSCF9456.JPG

Back