Fix with a letter box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
Yup ....I'm fixing something in my interior with a letterbox -  a (imho) poor design by Ford that causes my OCD to run riot.

Int1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a second dash pad that I see?  Good cropping of picture to show rear view mirror not in place...

Oh, and there's a spot of dirt on the passenger carpet. 

Nice!! 

Your right, Ford had a poor design on theres. Didnt they have mail back in 1971? how come ford didnt use the letter box then?  :cool:

Could you share the letter box part #?  Thank you

Nice!! 

Your right, Ford had a poor design on theres. Didnt they have mail back in 1971? how come ford didnt use the letter box then?  :cool:

Could you share the letter box part #?  Thank you
Hi Macattack 

There are two ways of doing it -

The photo of my last shifter was made from NOS shifter seal brushes from Jaguar XJS .. their part code CAC2864     

if you put draught excluder letterbox in Ebay .... you'll get 1000's of them 

Below is the XJS part - you need two obviously -- then you have to carefully tease the curve into the spine to make it fit our needs 
...the results are well worth it 

s-l500.jpg

Is that a second dash pad that I see?  Good cropping of picture to show rear view mirror not in place...

Oh, and there's a spot of dirt on the passenger carpet. 
Hey Midlife 

yeah - I have a mirror (in Americanese..."Meeeur" ) to hang back up -- see this pic if its clearer

nomirror.jpg

From the pics we have seen already, it really looks like you picked a winner. I was scratching my head as to what the hell a "Letter Box" was, but then as others replied, I finally figured it out. If one drives a stick shift, then that is alien talk to us!

On a slightly critical note, I notice that the center dash has A/C vents, but no A/C on the car. The center dash actually looks better WITH the vents compared to the totally useless cubby hole on non A/C cars. Hit the throttle hard and everything you put in there, is on the floor.

Congrats and keep the fun coming.

From the pics we have seen already, it really looks like you picked a winner. I was scratching my head as to what the hell a "Letter Box" was, but then as others replied, I finally figured it out. If one drives a stick shift, then that is alien talk to us!

On a slightly critical note, I notice that the center dash has A/C vents, but no A/C on the car. The center dash actually looks better WITH the vents compared to the totally useless cubby hole on non A/C cars. Hit the throttle hard and everything you put in there, is on the floor.

Congrats and keep the fun coming.
I realized my mistake. as you guys have a mail box

mailbox.JPG

We have an item called a letterbox hammered into our front door ... it also means the mail man has to get that extra workout of actually having to use his .... and I realise these are redundant items these days ... "legs".. and stuff huge quantities of "junk mail into said slot. 

image_2020-10-12_193223.png

and we use these hairy "draught excluder" things so that you do not lose any house heat when said tax bill is delivered to your door ...or Rocketyfoot's new calendar, which I was delighted with a few months back.  :biggrin:

Hi got it this morning and took the spines out 

now I'm ready to form it to the right shape to make my stick hairy  :classic_blush:

box.jpg

yeah - I have a mirror (in Americanese..."Meeeur" ) to hang back up -- see this pic if its clearer
Well, that depends upon where in 'merica you are. 

If in Boston, it'd be "meer-aahh"

Down south, that'd "mur-rur"

On Long Island, it'd be "meeaah -ruh"

In, NYC, it'd be on the table with white lines and razor blades...

Back