02 body 05 body

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
Hi ya'aaall 

OK now my OCD is getting the better of me again. 

As you see from pic - I've had both ... can someone please put me out of my misery and explain to me where they are different (body shell, not options list) , because I cant find one thing different 

or was it another Ford screw up?

body.jpg

The Mach 1 is faster because well, Speed Racer drove it before he got his Mach 5.

No difference

This is one of my pet peeves. Mach 1 was NOTHING.... The Mach 1 package had zero to do with performance it was just appearance but all see it the other way. Ford did a great job of pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. You got the following checking the Mach 1 package.
302 2-V, could have on any model
plastic inserts in the front carpet. Boy that makes it got faster.
Honeycomb tail light panel. Wow how much faster does that go?
Mach 1 written on side and trunk, Humm 
If you sprang for the Mach 1 sports interior you got better seats otherwise Mach 1 came with the bottom end all vinyl interior you could go no lower.
Every other option was available on coupe, convertible, fastback or Mach 1. Not much special or fast about a Mach 1. An equally equipped coupe would eat its lunch. Weight and stiffness. 
So do not get stars in your eyes when you see Mach 1 look at the options list. They are doing the new to come Mach 1 the same way just riding the smoke and mirrors again. 

This is one of my pet peeves. Mach 1 was NOTHING.... The Mach 1 package had zero to do with performance it was just appearance but all see it the other way. Ford did a great job of pulling the wool over everyone's eyes. You got the following checking the Mach 1 package.
302 2-V, could have on any model
plastic inserts in the front carpet. Boy that makes it got faster.
Honeycomb tail light panel. Wow how much faster does that go?
Mach 1 written on side and trunk, Humm 
If you sprang for the Mach 1 sports interior you got better seats otherwise Mach 1 came with the bottom end all vinyl interior you could go no lower.
Every other option was available on coupe, convertible, fastback or Mach 1. Not much special or fast about a Mach 1. An equally equipped coupe would eat its lunch. Weight and stiffness. 
So do not get stars in your eyes when you see Mach 1 look at the options list. They are doing the new to come Mach 1 the same way just riding the smoke and mirrors again. 
Sometimes I really wonder why you even bother with these cars David...

This is a direct copy and paste from the Wikipedia page that I cleaned up and corrected for accuracy. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For 1971, Ford reduced the content of the Mach 1. The standard features of the model were as follows:

• SportsRoof body style with unique "05" VIN code & "63R" body code on door tag
  • Color-keyed urethane front "spoiler" bumper & front fender and hood trim
  • Honeycomb grille in black w/sportlamps
  • Argent or black "Mach 1 – MUSTANG" decals on fenders
  • Argent or black stripe and "Mach 1" decal on the trunklid
  • Argent or black lower body accent paint
  • Bright trim at lower body paint line
  • E70-14 white sidewall tires w/ hub caps & trim rings on 7" wide steel wheels
  • Color-keyed dual racing mirror w/driver side remote
  • Honeycomb taillight panel applique with bright trim
  • Unique pop open gas cap
  • F-code 302-2V engine w/3 speed manual transmission
  • Competition Suspension (HD springs & shocks), variable quick-ratio steering box if ordered with P/S
  • Base Mustang vinyl interior
  • Flat hood – the NACA scooped hood was a no-cost OPTION for the base engine

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the items you stated can be had with other models. The Decor group gets the Mach 1 grill. The spring specials got most of them do your research go to the I will bet you any amount you want I am right Mach 1 was nothing but appearance. You could get all options that a Mach 1 could except what I listed. 

Oh BTW use the Ford info not second hand info The Ford Fact Books are on the site. I lived the cars ordered mine from the ford facts book. 

I will answer each one below your answer.

• SportsRoof body style with unique "05" VIN code & "63R" body code on door tag
  • You could get a sportsroof not unique to Mach 1.
  • Color-keyed urethane front "spoiler" bumper & front fender and hood trim
  • Urethane bumper was offered on other models not just Mach 1. 
  • Honeycomb grille in black w/sportlamps
    Honeycomb grill was on decor group or spring special. What makes the Mach 1 go faster from a grill?
  • Argent or black "Mach 1 – MUSTANG" decals on fenders
  • I stated you got Mach 1 on fender does not add performance.
  • Argent or black stripe and "Mach 1" decal on the trunklid
  • Again I stated does not make faster appearance only.
  • Argent or black lower body accent paint
  • You could get on any model standard on Spring special coupe.
  • Bright trim at lower body paint line
  • Again Decor group on other models nothing to do with performance.
  • E70-14 white sidewall tires w/ hub caps & trim rings on 7" wide steel wheeL
  • Again optional on any model how does this make it go faster? Appearance.
  • Color-keyed dual racing mirror w/driver side remote
    Optional on any model does not make faster just appearance.
  • Honeycomb taillight panel applique with bright trim
  • I stated this was Mach 1 only, nothing to do with performance appearance only.
  • Unique pop open gas cap
    On 71 only does this make it faster only appearance.
  • F-code 302-2V engine w/3 speed manual transmission
  • One step ahead of 250 six. Available on any model nothing to do with performance.
  • Competition Suspension (HD springs & shocks), variable quick-ratio steering box if ordered with P/S
  • Again option on any model but a 6 cylinder not unique to a Mach 1.
  • Base Mustang vinyl interior
  • This is the cheapest interior they offered so WOW what an add came on all base models.
  • Flat hood – the NACA scooped hood was a no-cost OPTION for the base engine
  • NASA hood was optional on all models came standard on Spring Special. Not unique to Mach 1.
    I stand behind what I stated Mach 1 is smoke and mirrors just an appearance package not performance unless you optioned up for options you could get on any model.

• Now please show me where I stated anything incorrect.
  • I state the facts so members are not deceived. A coupe or convertible can have the same performance of a Mach 1. In fact a coupe equally equipped should eat a Mach 1 up due to weight and body stiffness. 
  • Please do not use the internet to back anything up only use Ford info readily available.
  • Cheers

Oh BTW use the Ford info not second hand info The Ford Fact Books are on the site. I lived the cars ordered mine from the ford facts book. 

Please read and comprehend what I wrote - I edited that article on Wikipedia  - with information *from* the Ford books, not pulling it out of my a$$. 

No, the Mach 1 was not what it was in 69-70, not that a 351W-2V is anything exciting. It was marketed as a "sporty" car, not a "performance" vehicle. That was the position of the B351 and the 429 cars. 

The Mach 1 name itself just carries a certain "baddassery" to it.  Sure, it literally had nothing to do with making the car go faster.  But cooler?  Undoubtedly.  Can't fault Ford for creating an iconic brand and making a few bucks off of it.  There is a reason people restore these cars and slap Mach 1 badging on converts, sportsroofs, and otherwise.  The brand matters.

They are getting ready to do again with their "New Mach 1" model even has similar tu tone hood look. People hear Mach 1 and they think performance. Was not there as a base model and nothing ground shaking in the Mach 1 package. Some plastic, tape, the cheapest seats and wheel covers. I need to shoot a video and go around car and point out what Mach 1 gets you. I looked at my factory invoice. The base Mach 1 package car was $2,624.11. Buy the time I put the options on to make it more of a performance car the price was $5,156.90. The only option unique to the Mach 1 I got was the Mach 1 Sports Interior option. Nothing else was specific to just the Mach 1. 
I need for someone to explain to me how tastes changed. Every year the coupe model sold the most mustangs. Never a year fastback or vert was highest but now nobody searches for coupes and few want verts. How did that flip??

They are getting ready to do again with their "New Mach 1" model even has similar tu tone hood look. People hear Mach 1 and they think performance. Was not there as a base model and nothing ground shaking in the Mach 1 package. Some plastic, tape, the cheapest seats and wheel covers. I need to shoot a video and go around car and point out what Mach 1 gets you. I looked at my factory invoice. The base Mach 1 package car was $2,624.11. Buy the time I put the options on to make it more of a performance car the price was $5,156.90. The only option unique to the Mach 1 I got was the Mach 1 Sports Interior option. Nothing else was specific to just the Mach 1. 
I need for someone to explain to me how tastes changed. Every year the coupe model sold the most mustangs. Never a year fastback or vert was highest but now nobody searches for coupes and few want verts. How did that flip??
You keep going on and on and on and on  about Mach 1 = Performance. I don't see anywhere on this thread, except one who was joking about speed racer, ever saying it was. Bottom line is if you don't like the car don't buy it. It's just that simple.

I dunno,

I bet if you went to any car show and asked your average tire kicker. They would say that the Mach 1 is/was a performance enhancement. And way faster.
Not only that, but they (or a cousin/friend) who owned one....

The Mach 1 "image" was nothing unique to Ford. Many of the cars of the era were marketed with a performance image, without any real performance goodies. The Super Sport package was available on 6cyl cars, you could get a 'cuda with a 318 two barrel.  The Grabber package for 1970 was a performance "look" but nothing else. The GT package for Torinos was much the same as the Mach 1 - firmer suspension and some cool visual bits. Keep in mind this was an era where having two cars in the driveway was a very new thing, and buying a "sporty" car was typically reserved for only the more affluent. The 65 GT350 was double the price of a base model Mustang, and nearly the same price as the Thunderbird. 

FWIW, even a 302 Mach 1 was much more exciting to drive than a 6 cylinder sportsroof, and felt like a rocket compared to dad's 240-6 Galaxie 500. 

David,

I don't think tastes changed at all. A lot of people wanted more than they could afford back when they were new. They could afford more than a Maverick, but not a Mach or convertible. So they settled on a 302 hardtop. Or they couldn't afford the insurance on the Mach1. Or they were painfully practical.

Now, as with most other things, the collectors and restores want what everyone wanted but couldn't afford back then.

All  of  the above points are well taken.  I think that 1sostatic question is a valid one and is one that many of us have wonder.  David's reply answers the question but then he emphasizes on the fact that in the eye of the public the "Mach 1" decal meant power although it was just a option package.  As Hemi points out this is also the case for many other cars of that period.  When we hear the words GTO, Charger, Barracuda, Chevelle SS and others we automatically think of muscle cars.  Our minds have been programed over the years to associate these brand names to horse power and performance even though that may not be the case.   I remember when a neighbor bought the first Mustang in our area.  It was a Vintage Burgundy 64 hardtop with a 260.  As a 13 year old kid I thought it was the coolest looking and fastest car out there.   In reality it was just an average car for its day.   As we all now know that it's not so much the model but what engine was order that made the the car a true muscle car.  As is the case for a Mach 1 with a 302 or Sportroof with a 429.  When we hear Mach 1 we think power and performance but in reality the Sportsroof with the 429 would be the true muscle car of the two in this case.    

Back