Flame out?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Ford focus and 1967 Fiat 500.
Hello forum. Wierd thing happened while out driving my 429cj. It was warmed up......put in gear...drove 30m...car flamed out......was able to start up again and go. Later same day.....car flamed out on road.....I managed to pull over safely......very difficult to start.....poured on some gas.....a couple of minutes later was able to start and drove home. Any ideas?

car had been standing still for nearly a year (due all this corona stuff)...

picture from drive.👍

4E48B4E2-EFBE-4401-A366-108D39AEE5C5.png

What did it do when it quit? Did it backfire, stutter and stumble, lose power before it quit, or just quit like the key was turned off?

Did you notice any gas smell when it was off or when you tried starting it?

Do you have stock ignition, or an electronic ignition? If you have points, the condenser may be the problem, failing when it gets hot. Coils can also fail when they get hot. I would check all electrical connections, if you have points make sure the gap is correct and the ground strap and condenser in the distributor are securely fastened.

Off the starter relay, you'll find the fusable link- IIRC it is yellow.  You may have to open up the wiring bundle to follow it, but typically, they burn through inside the wire casing leaving a soft spot.  You can buy replacement fusible link wire,  make sure it is the same gauge and cut back the original and use a good butt connector to crimp the replacement on.

Usually when they fail, it is sudden and complete, but I have had one short intermittently for a few drives before it failed.

Back