Complete Re-wire

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
I found some uglies while working under my dash this spring. I have thought about having the harness repaired but I'd like to add some modern upgrades like power windows, power locks, cruise control and... ? 

This leads me to replacing the entire harness. It seems like the Painless 28 circuit universal kit is the best balance of price, reputation and quality. I am impressed with the install guide (130+ pages compared to 7 or 8 for some others. I'm not sure I like the GM color codes but at double the price I'm not likely going with the Ford colored harness. 

Has anyone gone this route? I haven't found a detailed description of an install on the site.  

I used a Ron Francis Harness and really like it. They will build whatever you want. Check them out or give them a call and tell them what you want to do. Very nice people.

https://www.ronfrancis.com/

That being said we put a Painless in the 70 but we had bought a 50% off coupon from a silent auction at a car show. So price was the deciding factor on that one. It seemed like a nice harness as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pulled the trigger on a Painless 28 circuit harness yesterday. I guess I'm in it now. I planned to pull the engine to clean stuff up and re-seal it. That should make stuff a bit more accessible... wish me luck. I'll post more once I get into it. 

Just so long as the cuss words are deliberate, you'll be fine.

A good set of pole strippers are a good augmentation to one's tool set...heh heh.

I started pulling the old harness out over the weekend with the rear section. I am at the point where I'm pulling the harness through the "B" pillar area and there is not enough room to feed the harness through. Is there a connection for the tail harness somewhere underdash or was this assembled after the wires were pulled to the rear? I'd rather not make unnecessary cuts to the original harness.  

Back