I found some uglies while working under my dash this spring. I have thought about having the harness repaired but I'd like to add some modern upgrades like power windows, power locks, cruise control and... ? 

This leads me to replacing the entire harness. It seems like the Painless 28 circuit universal kit is the best balance of price, reputation and quality. I am impressed with the install guide (130+ pages compared to 7 or 8 for some others. I'm not sure I like the GM color codes but at double the price I'm not likely going with the Ford colored harness. 

Has anyone gone this route? I haven't found a detailed description of an install on the site.  

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

I used a Ron Francis Harness and really like it. They will build whatever you want. Check them out or give them a call and tell them what you want to do. Very nice people.

https://www.ronfrancis.com/

That being said we put a Painless in the 70 but we had bought a 50% off coupon from a silent auction at a car show. So price was the deciding factor on that one. It seemed like a nice harness as well.

I pulled the trigger on a Painless 28 circuit harness yesterday. I guess I'm in it now. I planned to pull the engine to clean stuff up and re-seal it. That should make stuff a bit more accessible... wish me luck. I'll post more once I get into it. 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Good luck.  While tedious, I have no doubt you can do a great job with it.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/gallery/1_01_07_15_8_53_18.png

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

Thanks Jeff, I'm not the strongest at electrical work but I'll likely be better at it when the job is done. Having read the install manual I'm fairly confident I can cut down on random curse words. 

[align=left]Jeff T.

They will likely flow like a fine wine! LOL! 

[align=left]Jeff T.

Buy some good quality crimpers and strippers (I love good strippers) and a very good soldering iron, they will make your life easier and allow you to turn out a better product.

• Like 1

"I love my Hookers!" and "Get some Strange" probably have a different connotation to non automotive enthusiasts!

2 hours ago, Jeff73Mach1 said:

Buy some good quality crimpers and strippers (I love good strippers) and a very good soldering iron, they will make your life easier and allow you to turn out a better product.

Already on that. I have a real nice crimper and a decent stripper. 

[align=left]Jeff T.

I prefer the indecent strippers myself

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I started pulling the old harness out over the weekend with the rear section. I am at the point where I'm pulling the harness through the "B" pillar area and there is not enough room to feed the harness through. Is there a connection for the tail harness somewhere underdash or was this assembled after the wires were pulled to the rear? I'd rather not make unnecessary cuts to the original harness.  

[align=left]Jeff T.

I found the plugs. There was a 2 pin and a 4 pin right at the bottom of the "A" pillar. Thanks again! 

[align=left]Jeff T.

• 1 month later...

Here's the reason for the new harness (well that and some coming upgrades). I pulled the dash assembly and have all of the main harness out. 

IMG_3119.jpg

• Like 1

[align=left]Jeff T.

5 hours ago, droptop73 said:

Here's the reason for the new harness (well that and some coming upgrades). I pulled the dash assembly and have all of the main harness out. 

IMG_3119.jpg

Uh, that could have causing some awesome electrical shorts... 

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Yeah... some really nice short shorts... :thumb:

[align=left]Jeff T.