A nice score today.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
A couple of weeks ago, I was looking through 71-73 Mustang and Mustang parts classifieds on Kijiji (Ontario) and saw an ad for a V8 fan shroud. I replied, but heard nothing back, so I assumed it was gone. Yesterday I was looking through again and found the ad still there. I sent a message once again and this time the guy called me back to say he still had it. He told me it was off a 71 Mach 1 and it was in perfect condition. The bonus was he lived only 50 miles away and was working even closer, so I drove to his work place and bought it on the spot. It is a D0OE 8146 C original part. A clean up and a spritz of low gloss black and it looks brand new.

If anyone in Michigan is going to NPD in the near future, please PM me. I would like to buy a "Caution Fan" sticker, D-MC148, but they are currently not mailing stuff, so hoping someone can get one for me and mail it. Payment to be arranged of course.

Glad you scored on the shroud. I have a suggestion for you. They were not painted. If you clean really good with hot soapy water then blast it with walnut shells that will even out the surface. Wipe down with lacquer thinner, then if you spray with satin clear it will look like an original part. I do the fender splash shields and heater boxes this way works great. 

Glad you scored on the shroud. I have a suggestion for you. They were not painted. If you clean really good with hot soapy water then blast it with walnut shells that will even out the surface. Wipe down with lacquer thinner, then if you spray with satin clear it will look like an original part. I do the fender splash shields and heater boxes this way works great. 
Hi David, yes I agree, but I no longer have access to blasting equipment since I quit work entirely last March and nor do I have suitable equipment at home. My background was building automotive prototype air induction systems and as such I have several techniques to finish parts. What I did on this was to just mist a very thin layer of low gloss black from a distance so as not to cover up the texture of the fibers. Once dry, I will wipe most of the paint off with lacquer thinner, then satin clear. It will look as good as I need it to be.

I have found that Easy-Off oven cleaner spray will remove paint from plastics, without damaging the plastic, and it hoses off. Painting plastics is generally considered a no-no, used only to hide repairs when necessary. Of course, there are exceptions, like interior pieces and some Argent grille pieces. A clean black plastic fan shroud needs only to be wiped with a trim dressing ( similar to Armor-All ), to give it a showroom new appearance, I feel.

I have found that Easy-Off oven cleaner spray will remove paint from plastics, without damaging the plastic, and it hoses off. Painting plastics is generally considered a no-no, used only to hide repairs when necessary. Of course, there are exceptions, like interior pieces and some Argent grille pieces. A clean black plastic fan shroud needs only to be wiped with a trim dressing ( similar to Armor-All ), to give it a showroom new appearance, I feel.
Spike, yes Easy-Off dose work on plastics depending on the paint used. I disagree with you about painting plastics however. True, some plastics do not accept paint very well, especially the "oilier" (for want of a better word) plastics like Poly Pro or Poly Ethelene. Poly Pro can be painted by using plastic prep primer or paints made for plastic painting. In my days of prototyping, PP was the general plastic used to vacuum form air cleaner shells and the like. My "trick" was to glass bead blast the part, then paint with SEM Trim Black. I have use SEM Trim paints very successfully on most plastics, but it comes down to prep plus allowing the paint to cure. SEM takes 48 hours to fully cure before being used.

As for the fan shroud, these are a type of fiber glass and I do agree, they ought to be natural, but I'm not painting it per se, but using the paint as a sort of grain filler to remove that grey look with old f/g. When finished it will look natural.

Tip for repairing cracks:  I tried fiber glass resin, but it cracked again. Then I found a product called "Bondic", which is a UV cured glue. Use as directed. I use a Dremel with a 1/8" carbide bit to clean out the crack and increase the surface area for the bond. Do from both side, but don't overdo it. Apply the Bondic resin in thin coats, curing each time. Once cured, it can be sanded and painted. It may still be visible, but from my experience, won't crack again. The shroud I currently have was repaired over 3 years ago and apart from a slight visible line, it has not cracked. Again the paint was applied very sparingly.

For PP or PE, butt welding is an option by applying heat and pressure. I know PP pipes are butt welded this way so I don't know how will it work with repairs. May not work in applications that need to be aesthetically pleasant since for butt welding to be successful you would need material to flow out of the welded area to form a "bead".

Last edited by a moderator:
For PP or PE, butt welding is an option by applying heat and pressure. I know PP pipes are butt welded this way so I don't know how will it work with repairs. May not work in applications that need to be aesthetically pleasant since for butt welding to be successful you would need material to flow out of the welded area to form a "bead".
  Yes indeed. Plastic welding is what I did every day. ALL thermoplastics can be welded but thermoset plastic (as in distributor caps etc.) cannot. In the case of the original fan shroud, they are fiber glass type material and for this, I found the Bondic product excellent. It will also glue some other plastics, but is not flexible.

A couple of weeks ago, I was looking through 71-73 Mustang and Mustang parts classifieds on Kijiji (Ontario) and saw an ad for a V8 fan shroud. I replied, but heard nothing back, so I assumed it was gone. Yesterday I was looking through again and found the ad still there. I sent a message once again and this time the guy called me back to say he still had it. He told me it was off a 71 Mach 1 and it was in perfect condition. The bonus was he lived only 50 miles away and was working even closer, so I drove to his work place and bought it on the spot. It is a D0OE 8146 C original part. A clean up and a spritz of low gloss black and it looks brand new.

If anyone in Michigan is going to NPD in the near future, please PM me. I would like to buy a "Caution Fan" sticker, D-MC148, but they are currently not mailing stuff, so hoping someone can get one for me and mail it. Payment to be arranged of course.
Hey Geoff, I have an extra sticker. Just shoot me a pm with your address and it’s yours. I’ll gladly take care of the postage, shouldn’t be too much to send it in an envelope.

Hello Geoff,

Haven't been on here in a while so almost missed your post.  That's a great find on that shroud. The DOOE-C shroud was production installed  on early 1969 built '70 Torinos through the end of '69. It was replaced by the D1ZZ-8146-A which is the production installed shroud on '71 Mustang from day one. All were service replaced by the D3ZZ-8146-A for 71-73 Mustang and 70-71 Torinos.

If after you receive jpazs decal you decide you need another, just let me know. I may have one of the Caution-Fan warning decals left. I needed one for a friends Boss 302 but didn't notice that they came in a package of 25! It took a long time to get rid of most of them.  :biggrin:

Hello Geoff,

Haven't been on here in a while so almost missed your post.  That's a great find on that shroud. The DOOE-C shroud was production installed  on early 1969 built '70 Torinos through the end of '69. It was replaced by the D1ZZ-8146-A which is the production installed shroud on '71 Mustang from day one. All were service replaced by the D3ZZ-8146-A for 71-73 Mustang and 70-71 Torinos.

If after you receive jpazs decal you decide you need another, just let me know. I may have one of the Caution-Fan warning decals left. I needed one for a friends Boss 302 but didn't notice that they came in a package of 25! It took a long time to get rid of most of them.  :biggrin:
Thanks for the offer of the decal and info. The shroud on my car is also a D0OE-C so I assumed it was the original on an early (Feb) 71 car. I do know the rad had been replaced at some point as the tank numbers are different, but it is original style. I had that rebuilt as a 3 core back in 2012. I suppose it's entirely possible a PO swapped out the shroud if maybe the original was broken. Regardless, it's not and never will be a "concours" car, so as long as it is authentic to the mark, I don't care.

As for the decal, some say they were only a dealer add-on, but I want one there because, believe it or not, people seem to want to lean over to get a closer look at a running engine......... and I've done it myself when adjusting or tuning. I'm sure I'm not alone on that one!

Hello Geoff,

I know the decal has been the subject of a lot of discussions. My friend with the Boss 302 swears his came with one from the factory. None of my Mustangs have one. The Ford part number goes back to 1960 (C0AZ) so I'm sure it was used on the production line on plenty of different vehicles over time.   

The fan shrouds on my early built (9/21/70) and late (7/28/71) both have D1ZE-AA (D1ZZ-8146-A) shrouds. It's also possible that the  DOOE-C shroud was sent from Ford as a D1ZZ service part. I have seen that done before when the original and replacing part were functionally the same. I can promise you Ford did not trash parts because of a number change. 

If you do need an additional decal just let me know, I'm sure I'll remember where I put it eventually.  :whistling:

Hello Geoff,

I know the decal has been the subject of a lot of discussions. My friend with the Boss 302 swears his came with one from the factory. None of my Mustangs have one. The Ford part number goes back to 1960 (C0AZ) so I'm sure it was used on the production line on plenty of different vehicles over time.   

The fan shrouds on my early built (9/21/70) and late (7/28/71) both have D1ZE-AA (D1ZZ-8146-A) shrouds. It's also possible that the  DOOE-C shroud was sent from Ford as a D1ZZ service part. I have seen that done before when the original and replacing part were functionally the same. I can promise you Ford did not trash parts because of a number change. 

If you do need an additional decal just let me know, I'm sure I'll remember where I put it eventually.  :whistling:
Steve, again thanks for the offer. Jpaz has just pm'd to say he will send the one he has, so for now it should be good, but I'll keep you in mind should that change.

As for the D0OE-C shroud I just acquired, the seller told me he used to have a 73 vert and he found someone in Georgia selling a 71 Mach 1 for parts, so he went there and took the M code motor, NASA hood, shroud and other stuff off the car to upgrade his vert, which he then sold. He said that shroud was not used and why he still had it. So is it possible  that 71 Mach and my 71 Mach both had the D0OE shrouds? As you say, Ford would not waste parts for the sake of a number change unless there was some significant changes. Interesting!

Remember that the 70-71 Torino/Montego and 71-73 Mustang/Cougar all share the same radiator support and front aprons. Those parts and the radiator, mounts and shrouds interchange back and forth. Could very well have been a junkyard purchased part back in the day after the factory flex fan let loose ;)

Remember that the 70-71 Torino/Montego and 71-73 Mustang/Cougar all share the same radiator support and front aprons. Those parts and the radiator, mounts and shrouds interchange back and forth. Could very well have been a junkyard purchased part back in the day after the factory flex fan let loose ;)
No flex fan on the 71's, so no I don't think so. Flex fans are VERY dangerous and should be avoided at all cost unless it's on a trailer queen and never runs at speed.

I tend to think that as the guy I bought this from is sure it came off the 71 Mach he personally took the parts off, the D0OE shroud WAS being used on earlier 71's. What's in the "book" doesn't necessarily it was fact in real life.

Interesting, but at the end of the day, the part is better than what I have and it will look great on the car and no-one will ever know one way or the other.

IMG_1546.JPG

Here are some more pics of the finished shroud.

To be honest, my first thought of lightly spraying with low gloss black, then wiping the finish back, didn't produce the look I wanted, too much greying of the old f/g. I considered black boot polish, another technique used, or 'Back To Black' from Mothers, but ended up going back to a light coat of Dupilcolor low gloss (engine) paint and Dupiclolor  Bumper and Trim clear coat, which is semi gloss (although it doesn't say it on the can).

Job done, here's the pics. The last one shows the fixed crack in the existing one and why I want to replace it.

IMG_1548.JPG

IMG_1551.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

IMG_1543.JPG

No flex fan on the 71's, so no I don't think so. Flex fans are VERY dangerous and should be avoided at all cost unless it's on a trailer queen and never runs at speed.

I tend to think that as the guy I bought this from is sure it came off the 71 Mach he personally took the parts off, the D0OE shroud WAS being used on earlier 71's. What's in the "book" doesn't necessarily it was fact in real life.

Flex fans were used extensively on 71-73s. 5 blade was used on all but the 429 cars, which had a 7 blade. The 4 blade you have was the base fan for 250/302/351 non-AC cars. The 5 blade flex unit was the subject of multiple recalls in the 70's. I personally pitch all of them in the parts bin and run a clutch fan, much quieter. 

Back