clutch pedal bearing kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jomar1957

Reaction score
My Car
73 302 4speed deluxe int air
I am interested in changing the clutch pedal to ball bearings  I have seen Mustang steves version and scott drake version. Does any one have any experience with either one of these?

I am interested in changing the clutch pedal to ball bearings  I have seen Mustang steves version and scott drake version. Does any one have any experience with either one of these?
Hi, Yes I used Mustang Steve's kit with great success. However, I had the advantage of working in a machine shop where we had an excellent welder, which I'm not. What I found was that the side draft of the bracket caused the bearing sleeves to be at an angle and needed to be ground to the matching angle to align the bearings and shaft. You're likely going to find this on any of the brackets, it's just the way they're made. I didn't take pictures unfortunately, but the one's rio1856 shows are pretty good with one exception I will address to him directly. In my case as I was also adding a power brake booster, I needed to relocate the M/C push rod pin 2" lower than on the non P/B pedal. I got that pin from Steve as well, just to save me making one. Talking of making one, if you have access to machine equipment, i.e. lathe, welding and can buy suitable bearings, it would not be hard to make the entire thing, but from Steve, they are cheap enough, so may not be worth the time.

The Scott Drake version uses needle bearings from what I've seen and I'm not sure I like the assembly method either. I have seen others have used this S/D kit, so it's doable.

Brake Pedal1.JPG

I used the Mustang Steve kit. If you can weld or get someone who can it's pretty easy.

View attachment 45240
rio1856, I don't wish to be too critical, but on your assembly, which looks awesome by the way, unless you are using an original style long finger clutch, the helper spring needs to be removed as diaphragm clutches won't have enough force to overcome that spring and the pedal will stick in a down position. 

Hi Geoff, you are not being critical my friend I take any comments from anyone here as an opportunity to learn and expand my knowledge

when it comes to these cars so your comments are always welcomed. I intend to use the original style long finger clutch, my driving with my  car will be mostly

for cruising and enjoyment driving around town and on the very rare occasion, there is a long 3 mile stretch of road near where I live that doesn't have a lot of traffic

so there I would probably light the tires. So the original style clutch is fine for my purpose. 

Rio

Did the Scott Drake mod. It was very easy. I just tack welded the washers in beacuse i couldnt get the snap ring in place. The hardest part of the job for any of the two options is to get the pedal bracket assembly out.

Rio1856; I see, no problem, your car your way, BUT if you ever do go with a diaphragm clutch, that spring will need to be removed and it ain't easy when in the car. I had to cut mine out by cutting the spring with a Dremel. I since found there are other ways!!

Another HOT tip I can give you is to replace all the plastic linkage bushings with oilite bronze bushings. This of course requires some skill to accurately fit the bushings but will take loads off the pressure needed to operate the clutch. I have a Centerforce 2 clutch and it killed my left leg until I made that change. It will be worth it. These sketches should help. Oilite bushings can be bought at a bearing supply company

View attachment Oilite Bushing.pdf View attachment Clutch set-up.pdf View attachment Clutch bushing sketch.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Back