Help!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
I changed intake to a 1970-71 cast iron manifold and a 670SA carb, (ditching the height wasting egr plate). My distributor was shot so, after being unable to find a good oem dual point dizzy, I bought the Pertronix II rtr (tech at Pertronix said this one will fit). Installed, regapped and engine finally runs great, until I try to button it up and discover the dizzy is too tall for the air cleaner to fit. As I am in the midst of adding ram air I need the room, is there a different pertronix II distributor I can swap that will fit with the air cleaner or is there another workaround that will accommodate both the pertronix and the ram air cleaner? 

72368481-770-0@2X.jpg

Can you take picture so we can see the height issue? I thought the Pertronix for the 351C should fit without issues. 

If not then I'd go with a DuraSpark set up. Lots has been on the forum of late about DuraSpark options.

Good luck.

At some point a few years ago i was going to install a Pertronix II distributor and I had to forgo that idea due to clearance issues with the RAM air plenum. You may be able to gain some space by adding a carb spacer. Using a cap with female connectors may help a little. You can use aluminum foil on top of the air cleaner and then close the hood to see how much space you have to spare. The air filter gasket is very thick so you will need to account for it. I think about 1/2" after compressed. I modified my RAM air plenum to lower the gasket and allow me to have a Blue Thunder manifold and a 1/4 spacer.

Can you take picture so we can see the height issue? I thought the Pertronix for the 351C should fit without issues. 

If not then I'd go with a DuraSpark set up. Lots has been on the forum of late about DuraSpark options.

Good luck.
I will get a photo on monday, I cannot find a good used oem dual point distributor and am unsure what parts I need to go to duraspark II (the more I read about it, the less I understand) I keep seeing posts about parts or harneesses being unavailable except at junkyards. Is there a complete kit available at a reasonable price (anyone have a known good setup to sell or swap for a new pertronix II rtr <grin>?

One of my issues is I need to keep the resistor wire for my tach to work.

If it weren't for the ram air I would just go to a smaller (13"-14")aftermarket air cleaner 

Pertronix makes a stock height distributor that fits under a ram air setup. They make it in a pertronix 1 or a 3, I’m using the pertronix 1 distributor with no Clearance problems on my ram air. It’s part number D134620, got mine from summit a few years ago.

You can get the harness and coil from NPD:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/conversion-harness-dura-spark-ignition/144692/200435

https://www.npdlink.com/product/ignition-coil/127687/200435

You can get the distributor and module from RockAuto, this is the red strain relief module:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=49690&cc=1134818&jsn=2819

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=27921&cc=1123096&jsn=456

The coil for DuraSpark uses the resistor wire (ballast resistor) but the module uses full battery voltage. Here is a good wiring diagram:

durasparkwiring.gif

You can get the harness and coil from NPD:

https://www.npdlink.com/product/conversion-harness-dura-spark-ignition/144692/200435

https://www.npdlink.com/product/ignition-coil/127687/200435

You can get the distributor and module from RockAuto, this is the red strain relief module:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=49690&cc=1134818&jsn=2819

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=27921&cc=1123096&jsn=456

The coil for DuraSpark uses the resistor wire (ballast resistor) but the module uses full battery voltage. Here is a good wiring diagram:

View attachment 45277
and wiring it this way will allow the tach to work? 

Thank you if it does I will see about returning the pertronix and ordering these 

I will get a photo on monday, I cannot find a good used oem dual point distributor and am unsure what parts I need to go to duraspark II (the more I read about it, the less I understand) I keep seeing posts about parts or harneesses being unavailable except at junkyards. Is there a complete kit available at a reasonable price (anyone have a known good setup to sell or swap for a new pertronix II rtr <grin>?

One of my issues is I need to keep the resistor wire for my tach to work.

If it weren't for the ram air I would just go to a smaller (13"-14")aftermarket air cleaner 
Why the very old dual point technology? The only way I'd go to points would be in a break down situation and a set of point would get me home. Besides, to my knowledge and I could be wrong, the only dual point distributor on a 351C was on the Boss 351. IF you found one of those for less than a grand, good luck. I do know there was a dual point on a Windsor motor, I have one, but it's nfg.

When I was researching distributors for my M code, I looked at Pertronix rtr's but decided to learn how to get the best out of the stock Motorcraft by using a Pertronix Ignitor II and matching coil. I also looked a DuraSpark from Perfomance Distributors, but cost was an issue from them. I looked at the Mallory line as well, but as I like authenticity, I stuck with rebuilding my factory unit. There has been much written on this subject.

Why the very old dual point technology? The only way I'd go to points would be in a break down situation and a set of point would get me home. Besides, to my knowledge and I could be wrong, the only dual point distributor on a 351C was on the Boss 351. IF you found one of those for less than a grand, good luck. I do know there was a dual point on a Windsor motor, I have one, but it's nfg.
1973 Q code 351c-4v distributor with the 4 speed was dual point dual vacuum advance 

1973 Q code 351c-4v distributor with the 4 speed was dual point dual vacuum advance 
 I see. I'm not up on 73's I'll be honest. Never owned one nor would I. I just don't like that year, but thanks for the education.

So, I got curious and did a bit of "digging". I was not able to find pictures of a dual point dist. for the 73 4V, 4 speed, so I'll take your word for it. I did however find several Cardone remans that "claim" to be for the 73 Cleveland, might be worth checking out. I also found what you might have bought instead of the the one you needed. Summit racing list Pertronix D132700, which I think is the one you bought. However the D134620 is the stock height and appearing one that would work for you if you can get yours exchanged. However it does NOT say if the module is an Ignitor 1 or II.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Geoff,

The 4sp Q code 351's were equipped with dual point distributors. Unless an original owner, most people weren't aware of that since it would be safe to say that a lot of 'em were "tossed" over the years or upgraded to electronic. I had noticed them on a couple of my friends 4sp Gran Torinos. I ordered one, so I could also bask in the glory and cool factor of having one on my C6 Q Gran Torino. All was fine until I went to help a friend install a set of dual points in his SCJ Cyclone. Got it done but said #@:!?*& with this. I finally stuck my newly acquired dual point distributor in my parts room where things go to disappear and installed an electronic ignition kit Motorcraft had released.  :classic_smile:

Hello Geoff,

The 4sp Q code 351's were equipped with dual point distributors. Unless an original owner, most people weren't aware of that since it would be safe to say that a lot of 'em were "tossed" over the years or upgraded to electronic. I had noticed them on a couple of my friends 4sp Gran Torinos. I ordered one, so I could also bask in the glory and cool factor of having one on my C6 Q Gran Torino. All was fine until I went to help a friend install a set of dual points in his SCJ Cyclone. Got it done but said #@:!?*& with this. I finally stuck my newly acquired dual point distributor in my parts room where things go to disappear and installed an electronic ignition kit Motorcraft had released.  :classic_smile:
Thanks Steve, Like I said, I know nothing about 73's, don't like em, won't have one either, but I really appreciate your knowledge from an education standpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an original owner of a 1973 Mach 1 Q code and it is for sure dual point. When I picked the car up that I ordered I took it straight to the interstate. It would barely do 120mph so I went right back to the dealer and complained. They were shocked that I took a brand new car to 120. I told the that it is either right or wrong there is no break in. 
The guy in parts suggested the they switch me out to a dual point centrifugal advance and they did added about 5 mph. Had all the springs to tune it and no vacuum.
Yes they made dual point in all years. I have 8 of them. Nothing wrong with a 73 the fixed lots of issues by then. 

Back