Got my doors blown off.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
So, yesterday while driving out to one of my favorite little villages nearby to take the pictures posted in Glamour Shots and in My Garage, I was well exceeding the crappy slow 50 mph (80kmh) limit by at least 20 mph, when I saw this white SUV cruising up behind me. This is a straight road, but traffic can be quite high, so passing can be a challenge. Well, this SUV kept gaining on me, then pulled out to pass. I'm doing 70 and he blew my doors off, likely doing at least 90 if not 100 mph, I mean he was flying! What was it, no idea at the time until he slowed down to make a turn into a driveway. I'll not say what max speed I hit trying to catch the SUV to see what it was, but it was a "tad" faster. It turned out to be a TESLA Model X. Damn was that thing fast and NO sound.

After a run like that he'll be lucky to make it home to plug it in for 3 or 4 hours to re-fuel (charge) it. The same principals apply to electric vehicles, a heavy foot means more consumption, less range.

After a run like that he'll be lucky to make it home to plug it in for 3 or 4 hours to re-fuel (charge) it. The same principals apply to electric vehicles, a heavy foot means more consumption, less range.
 Yes agreed, that's why I'll never buy one. Too damned expensive as well. Besides, electric is not the way to go imo, It's going to cost us all way too much for electricity and supporting infrastructure. There are other options, but research has been slow. I saw last week that Alberta is looking at producing Hydrogen from the abundance of natural gas. Problem with Hydrogen is pressurizing it sufficiently and storing it safely, but I believe the time will come

Hi Geoff

speeding is possible with a classic Mustang too. :biggrin:

A friend of mine was a little bit in a hurry on his way home in his 69 Mach1. The scale on the speedometer wasn't enough. :whistling:

By the way, it wasn't illegal. Happened in Germany on an unlimited Autobahn.

Cheers Frank

View attachment 45279
 Frank, if I tried that these days here in Ontario, I'd loose the car for a week plus get a very hefty fine on several charges. I did however bury the needle once back in about 1981 in my Q code Mach 1. scared the daylights out of me because I barely got it stopped in time before going swimming in the river. Never did that again, but there may have been some alcohol involved that time.

Oh dear .......... reminds me of my younger years. Imagine going over 200 mph in the gt-40

Thanks for sharing. 

Rod

Much more than the high speed impresses me the constant increase of speed. Shows, that this engine has enough torque available.

The engine is a well built 351W with a 4 speed top loader.

Frank
Frank, at least it had the correct engine in it for a 69. Impressive!

If I get my track days car built I will have to get you all to come and meet up at The Roval in Charlotte and if compensated for tires and fuel let you take a run. I did right at 100 with my 73 vert on the Roval and it is not a hot engine. They had a pace car to keep us from going too fast but I would drop back so I could floor it down the back stretch. I took a driving school at Charlotte couple years ago I went over 170 mph and was oldest in the group but was the fastest. Does not seem that fast in a car built for it.

If I get my track days car built I will have to get you all to come and meet up at The Roval in Charlotte and if compensated for tires and fuel let you take a run. I did right at 100 with my 73 vert on the Roval and it is not a hot engine. They had a pace car to keep us from going too fast but I would drop back so I could floor it down the back stretch. I took a driving school at Charlotte couple years ago I went over 170 mph and was oldest in the group but was the fastest. Does not seem that fast in a car built for it.
Now THAT would be a treat!  Now all we need to do is get rid of this F'n virus thing and open the border.

Hey it will have rpm limiter to save engine up to you to keep it out of the wall. Life is too short not to share all we can and enjoy our cars. It will have a butt hole sensor for air bag deploy, lol. 
That's funny. We'll have to see how it goes over the next few months.

Last year I was on my way home on the Motorway (Freeway), one of those Electric cars came up by the side of me when I was Driving my Dodge Viper, he was trying to get me to play but I just laughed, he got board and drove off.   I was not going to give him the satisfaction.  

Then a young couple in a Nissan Skyline came up by the side of me who had seen the guy in the Tesler trying to bait me and just laughed.

IMG-20190306-WA0006.jpg

Last year I was on my way home on the Motorway (Freeway), one of those Electric cars came up by the side of me when I was Driving my Dodge Viper, he was trying to get me to play but I just laughed, he got board and drove off.   I was not going to give him the satisfaction.  

Then a young couple in a Nissan Skyline came up by the side of me who had seen the guy in the Tesler trying to bait me and just laughed.

View attachment 45397
You got a Viper?? Wow, some people have all the good toys. (not the one in the picture I assume)

Yeah, those Tesla guys think they have the speed edge, but not for long eh!

Side note; When Dodge first built the Viper, the frames were made in Dresden, Ontario and most if not all the jigging fixtures were made where I worked, but just before my time there.  Wonderful car indeed. Now Dodge need to go mid engine to keep up with Ford and Chevy.

You got a Viper?? Wow, some people have all the good toys. (not the one in the picture I assume)

Yeah, those Tesla guys think they have the speed edge, but not for long eh!

Side note; When Dodge first built the Viper, the frames were made in Dresden, Ontario and most if not all the jigging fixtures were made where I worked, but just before my time there.  Wonderful car indeed. Now Dodge need to go mid engine to keep up with Ford and Chevy.
Yep, thats my actual car in the UK.  

For my sins I am the UK President of the VOA UK and European  Region,  we don't have a large membership but I am the go to guy for info and Tech help in the VIPERCLUB.

If I don't know the problem I know a Guy that does :)

My Viper is a replica of the 92 car from the American Le mans Series driven by David Donahue in the ALMS IN 2000  Its  road driven car with Race Graphics, its been  featured on the TV show  Wheeler Dealers,  I have taken many many troops for Joy rides  on the Goodwood motor racing  circuit and the top Gear track at Dunsfold  in Surrey England (Built buy the Canadian Air Force).

I've been around Vipers since 2000 and met a fair few players along the way including Ben Keating of Viper Exchange and  Bill Riley who have been involved in Viper Racing for many Years. 

The 71 Mustang is a completely new toy to me and honestly it been a massive learning curve and a real challenge.  The Forum here 7173 is really helpful (Just like the VOA forum}, but the UK mustang club forums , honestly are pretty poor., much of it concentrates on the later Gen mustangs and there is not much tech help here in the UK, so I have to rely on you guys in helping me to restore my 71 Sportsback.

Here's an overview  of my car and Me 

2 hours ago, 92GTS-R said:

Yep, thats my actual car in the UK.  

For my sins I am the UK President of the VOA UK and European  Region,  we don't have a large membership but I am the go to guy for info and Tech help in the VIPERCLUB.

If I don't know the problem I know a Guy that does :)

My Viper is a replica of the 92 car from the American Le mans Series driven by David Donahue in the ALMS IN 2000  Its  road driven car with Race Graphics, its been  featured on the TV show  Wheeler Dealers,  I have taken many many troops for Joy rides  on the Goodwood motor racing  circuit and the top Gear track at Dunsfold  in Surrey England (Built buy the Canadian Air Force).

I've been around Vipers since 2000 and met a fair few players along the way including Ben Keating of Viper Exchange and  Bill Riley who have been involved in Viper Racing for many Years. 

The 71 Mustang is a completely new toy to me and honestly it been a massive learning curve and a real challenge.  The Forum here 7173 is really helpful (Just like the VOA forum}, but the UK mustang club forums , honestly are pretty poor., much of it concentrates on the later Gen mustangs and there is not much tech help here in the UK, so I have to rely on you guys in helping me to restore my 71 Sportsback.

Here's an overview  of my car and Me 

Ha, now we know how your "user name" came about! Mark, that's freakin awesome. I really enjoyed that video and, in a way, meeting you.

Before, I mentioned that the original gen 1 chassis or frame was built near by to where I live in SW Ontario. I can go one further and say that back in or around 88-89, I worked at what was then Allied Automotive, formerly Canadian Fram in the model shop and I actually did some of the work on the prototype air cleaner system for the gen 1 Viper. Because it was such a large unit, there were several of us working on it. Then in 89, Allied was bought out by Siemens who basically shut down the model shop. If you've read my profile or in other posts, I continued to work building Siemens and later Mahle's prototypes for another 17 + years, then add the 10+ years after forced retirement in 09, I worked on a part time, as needed basis. Now I just get to play with my toy and hopefully, help others such as yourself, to the best of my ability.

Geoff.

I have a polar opposite story - a few weeks ago on the way to Cars & Coffee, I had a 2003 'Vette pull up next to me at a light, and blipped his throttle to get my attention, I looked over and blipped back in reply.  We both had our windows down, I gave him a thumbs-up and hollered, "I suppose you want to give it a go?"  And the guy blew me away.  He literally said, "No way, Man.  I want to see more of that cool car than just the taillights."  He followed me to the Cars & Coffee and we hung out for about a half hour before he had to take off to run errands.

Made my day!

Back