Finished my engine bay today......

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
I have broken up my Mach1 project into 5 sections:  rear end (trunk, bumper, tail, etc), interior, engine bay, undercarriage and then body/paint.  Today I declared my engine bay part finished ( well we all know we are NEVER finished but...).  Last week while I had house painters here (with hands) I had them help me remove my hood so I could paint the underside.  it was full of surface rust and crud.  of course I never think to take "before" pictures but you all know what I mean.  Ram air was intact, just needed paint and new actuators that actually work!!  First time I ever sprayed automotive paint from a paint gun and being the underside of the hood I choose not to sand and buff it, too many angles and dips but I am very happy with it compared to what it was before.  Just 2 more sections to go!!

ebfin8.jpg

ebfin7.jpg

ebfin6.jpg

ebfin5.jpg

ebfin4.jpg

ebfin3.jpg

ebfin2.jpg

ebfin1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work!! Ryan

I hate to be critical, but there needs to be a hose from the snorkel vacuum motor to the temp sensor in the lower shell, even if it doesn't work. The other little detail that sticks out to me is the 3/4" aluminum tube from the canister to air cleaner. It needs to be painted black. These tubes were originally a sort of paper and had a rough texture. A method to get that look is to use either texture or trunk splatter paint, any color, then a coat of matt or semi-gloss black. 

Sorry, but it's in the little details and those are the things that get noticed. Other than that you've done an awesome job. Hopefully you can add some pics to your Garage or Glamour Shots.

Thanks, those items would be needed if  it was a "correct" engine bay but it is not, same with my interior.   And I do not plan on car shows, had my fill of them years ago.  Threw out all the various plaques and trophies I had won.   Did keep the awards I won for 3 different cars from Hilton Head, Alt Park, etc.   Once I started getting invited to the high end concours shows like HH, Louisville, Boca Raton local cars shows seemed silly to me.  Actually really can't stand them with the blaring music just about all play.  But watching grown men trip over themselves to race to a table get a can coolie as a door prize is amusing however.  I only go to shows that raise money for the animal shelters I support and may go to a cruise in now and then but always put a DNJ notice on my car.  I also did not hook up my washer nozzles and hoses, not sure if I will. 

Thanks, those items would be needed if  it was a "correct" engine bay but it is not, same with my interior.   And I do not plan on car shows, had my fill of them years ago.  Threw out all the various plaques and trophies I had one.   Did keep the awards I won for 3 different cars from Hilton Head, Alt Park, etc.   Once I started getting invited to the high end concours shows like HH, Louisville, Boca Raton local cars shows seemed silly to me.  Actually really can't stand them with the blaring music just about all play.  But watching grown men trip over themselves to race to a table get a can coolie as a door prize is amusing however.  I only go to shows that raise money for the animal shelters I support and may go to a cruise in now and then but always but a DNJ notice on my car.  You forgot to mention I did not hook up my washer nozzles and hoses, not sure if I will. 
No offence meant, your car, your way.

I know, and most who are doing a car need those tips as many want to be a correct as possible.  When I did my first 2 cars, a '68 AMX and a '72 Javelin AMX I was trying to get everything 100% correct.  I did start to take liberties with the final AMC, my '60 Metropolitan.  Did a custom paint and interior to simulate one of their show cars American Motors created.  This is the restoration that broke me from restorations, now I just want decent looking drivers.

metropolitan.jpg

Very, very nice work on both cars.  I  think we all have our reasons for doing these cars.  For some it is the thrill of the show and being correct.  For others it just the fun of having a nice looking car and the pleasure of working on it.  I say what ever rings your bell go for it.  

I must say your work is way beyond what I expected from some of your past posts.  I totally agree with what Kilgon has to say. That's a stunning Metropolitan, one of the best I've seen anywhere. Well done indeed. I get what you say about shows. Anyone going to a car show with the expectation of winning something, is going to be disappointed. If it happens so well and good. My personal kick is talking to various people about the car(s) and that promotes interest in the hobby.

Problem with getting a car like the Metro done that way is it becomes a trailer queen, afraid to drive it, worry about trying to match paint if needed, etc.  I agree with talking with people, or use to.  When I was doing shows with the AMCs I talked a lot as they are not seen very often.  But with my declining hearing that is a challenge now and I hate to pretend to hear. 

Looks really nice Jeff. It is easy to move forward with the build once you decide how you will use the car... I'm like you were, today with my 71 J Code Vert as the costs to complete the rotisserie restoration were beyond prohibitive... It sits in the garage lol. In fairness, I have had Q-Jet issues since completing the car (the carb is actually in Texas now being gone over by I hope, is an expert on these carb's...), but it would not see much road time in any event. That is why I bought my Q-Code 4-spd Coupe, although pretty original, has never been restored and I just drive it. Enjoy your ride and the fruits of your labor)

I have liked the Metros since I was 4 years old. That is the best one I've ever seen. Very well done indeed. Also weak for 1968-1969 AMXs. I have done one concours driven Mustang, my 1972 Mach 1. When I was at the 90% completed stage I promised myself I'd never do another concours restoration. Same thing, hardly driven, too much constant cleaning, and just not enough smiles per mile. It did win gold in 2012 but, driven less than a thousand miles since then. If the market ever comes back I will sell it. Chuck

As a kid, I well remember them as Austin Metropolitan's as the were made by Austin FOR Nash and sold as Nash in the USA. They were an American car made by Austin, Weird Eh!

Back