Remote (electric) trunk release

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PNWMach1

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 H-code
When I bought my 73 Mach 1 in 1986, it was equipped with an electric push button trunk release. The button is mounted on the lower dash, left of the steering column. It failed so often that I eventually just hooked up a traditional pull cable and left it at that.

My base question here is: Is this a factory (or dealer) option? I bought the car from the original owner and he never mentioned it one way or another, but I only received two keys from him at the time of purchase...both of them ignition keys. Why no trunk key? There is no lock...it is just blank in that area of the sheet metal (which was a PITA when new decals were installed after paint...had to splice some material into the area that is cut out for the lock).

I've never seen another Mustang of this era with the lock cylinder just completely missing from the trunk...has anyone else?

Thanks for the info, guys. When I had the car painted I never saw the deck lid when it was stripped down but always wondered if the lock hole had been filled.

HelloPNWMach1,

As previously posted, there were no production installed remote trunk lid release option on the first generation Mustangs. There was a cable actuated  release that was originally released for the 1964 full size Ford that was on the dealer installed accessories list. It was available starting with the early 1964 built '65 Mustangs. In 1967 Ford released an electric version that once again had a full size Ford part number but was available as dealer installed or over the counter choice for all vehicle lines. None eliminated the key actuated latch, so that was some surgery performed by the previous owner.  

The remote trunk release was a dealer option. I've never seen a trunk lid that didn't have a lock cylinder, so it was probably filled in by the P.O.

Steve

View attachment 45337
That's exactly the one I have in my '69. 

My Dad's '66 has a mechanical handle/cable setup.

This is one of those things that if MCA said it was I would love to see the buck tag with the code for the trunk lid without a hole. Like BP says they had 73 with eyebrows in the rear valance and chrome exhaust there is not code for the body shop to put the panel on and not code on a build sheet for a different exhaust system. If I lost you BP says he has a 73 Mach 1 that came from factory with chrome exhaust. A friend of mine owned it and I know he added. If you do not know who BP is you do not want to know him you might get in trouble. 

Does anyone have the instructions for this?  I haven't tested it yet,  but I believe the latch part is installed on my vert (Moose).

20210822_102221.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
SWEET! Thanks.   And by the way, I just hit it with 12v and it worked!

I just found site that has the wiring and instruct sheet for $10

I'm having some issues getting in touch with my previous source.
Does anyone know where I might find the wiring harness, switch and instructions?

Back