1972 Canadian Q Code Mach1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricard

Reaction score
My Car
1972 351CJ MACh1
[url=https://ibb.co/hBMVvFT][img]https://i.ibb.co/K2GWHx8/A865-E967-B72-D-4-AD0-A6-C8-F4-D3-E243-BFF5.jpg[/img][/url]
So the thing that I really find interesting about this car of mine is the fact that it was built for the showroom floor as it was optioned. 
ie... not custom ordered and the only one made with those options

Not sure how many other people have run into this, ford building a car without a special order as a “1of1”. I mean you certainly wouldn’t see that today. I’m sure that if you break things down far enough eventually they are all “1of1” or close to it, but interesting that it was optioned the way it was by ford to simply sit on the showroom floor. 

The thing I don’t love... I paid more in taxes to register it in 2020 then it cost in 1972.😐

2E5D7DFB-36A5-439B-81A4-4321A8EBDBAC.jpeg

9AF40C75-DAEF-4F9A-8D10-2514377E678B.jpeg

1AA5FC34-083D-40E9-A90C-AB5C3A4087AB.jpeg

0963CA59-5EE3-4BB8-A4E6-28D6848FA74C.jpeg

E169EB9F-D859-42D9-9C6B-05CBE1F941D7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not throwing rocks at your car but Marti can make any Mustang a one of one for an Eliete report. It is how he sorts out the options. He made one of mine a one of one because it did not have an option. I have a 73 with 41 options and Marti saw the car in person. Not found one with more so far.

Mine is a 1 of 6 according to Marti. It's a 71 Mach 1 and the only options listed are; Four speed wide ratio manual transmission, E70X14 Belted Tires, White sidewall tires, AM radio, that's it and the Order Type was Retail. This car was ordered and sold by Bishop-Hansel Ford in Santa Rosa CA. (I have the complete history on this one except for the original customer sales receipt)

The door data plate info is; 1 (71), F ( Dearborn), 05 (Mustang Mach 1), M (351 4V), 63R ( Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof), V (Light Pewter), 1A (Black Ruffino/Corinthian Vinyl Bucket Seats), 9 3.25:1 (standard axle ratio), 5 Four-Speed wide ratio manual transmission, 72 San Jose ordering district. That's it.

I'm NOT sure if mine was a stock order or actually ordered by the purchaser. Apparently Ford would build a few cars as line fill-ins if there was space in the line. With so few options ordered, these 6 might have been "line fil-ins". Unfortunately Marti does not say if all 6 were ordered by Bishop-Hansel Ford, so a guess at best where the other 5 went. It certainly is interesting digging into the history, but often leave more question unanswered than answered.

Glad you have owned the car as long as you have!!   Read your post (and comments) ..........with STOCK orders it is the dealer that specs the car (for stock) not Ford (building it a certain way).    It was a job that you were either good at reading the demand or "ordered too many green on green" and lost your job !  LOL

Dealer principal looked at it from a carrying cost of inventory when it took too long to sell.  BEST case senerio was to get a car, sell it BEFORE the bill to Ford came due after 30 days.   When you see LONG times to sell on the report (6 months in this case) the dealer had to pay the cost of keeping on the floor.  Again, this was an art as you had other dealers in proximity that could have a "similar" car for hundreds of dollars less , just from one option delete.

THEN when you put the date of delivery in the middle of winter, you can also factor why a 3:50 4 speed wasn't FLYING off the floor!

Love your car

Mark

Did I read your post right, it cost over $4500 to "register" the car? Chuck
 In Ontario, the tax on used vehicles adds up to 13% (5% Federal & 8% Provincial). Ownership and plate extra plus the $120 /yr license plate sticker fee. That still means he paid $35000 for the car. $35000 x 13% = $4550. Yes we do get screwed here tax wise. 

Nice car though, but I notice a few plugs missing on the underside (and red primer), but of course that may have just been when that pic was taken and installed and fixed by now.

Always good to see more Canadian Mach 1's on here. 
 Yes indeed. I really don't see to many around these days. I know of a few locally and not too many  seen at car shows. I don't even see many verts and coups either. There are probably more 65-68's than 69-73's surviving.

A little info on how the rich screw the little guys on taxes. Most rich people never get a tag for their car so they never pay taxes on the car. They simple have a dealership license and when they want to drive the car they put a transporter tag on them and go. I have not paid taxes on my 73 Mach 1 since 1982 I have not had a tag since then so no taxes. When you get a tag in NC you have to pay the property taxes so never get a tag no taxes. One of my neighbors was the guy that had one of every corvette made in black. He paid zero property taxes on them, worth millions. Right across the road that guy had two buildings probably 10,000 sq. ft. full of vehicles ZERO taxes because he never buys a tag for them. I know a farmer that has 1973 Mach 1, 72 Dodge Challenger, restored T-bird, AC Cobra kit car, 1962 Galaxie vert and a 1965 F-100 pick up all restored like new. When he is at shows he has a TRANSPORTER tag on the car. He never pays property taxes. You have to use the system. Here is a pic of the 73 Mach 1 and you can see the TRANSPORTER tag on it. He has never paid any taxes in probably 15 years on that car and it is legal. They are used by dealers to transport cars from where they are bought to dealership. My brother in law ran a transporter tag for probably 20 years. There are loop holes in most tax laws and the rich use all of them. Imagine have one of ever year corvette made and your taxes are ZERO. A dealer license if cheap compared to taxes.

DSC_0620 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0622 - Copy - Copy.JPG

DSC_0623 - Copy - Copy.JPG

DSC_0624 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0625 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Nice car... I remember that dealership as well. I grew up in Toronto and was fire fighter there for 30 years... I feel your pain and then some with the costs here. I gave up on Canadian 71-3's due to the significant rust issues with most here... However, buying them out of the USofA has taken a significant hit on the wallet... My two 71-3's I own today are AZ and Cali car's. Love the white paint!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice looking car. My 71 was also a Stock order but at the other end of the spectrum with almost no options. 

Ok, so coming in late... work... you know how it goes guys.

well I was a little high, but it was about 3k to register it yes. Ontario taxes suck.

its interesting how much this mustang was originally, I had 1of400 Canadian 1970 Cyclone GT’s  and it was only 4100$ in 70 and was extensively optioned. I guess ford really too the “response to European cars” to heart 

I love this forum, I always learn so much. I understand the stock order now. That makes sense. 

did anyone see the yellow 71 m code sell on Barrett-Jackson last night? 

Cheers

Ok, so coming in late... work... you know how it goes guys.

NO I don't, RETIRED!!

well I was a little high, but it was about 3k to register it yes. Ontario taxes suck.

That' sounds more like it, but you're right, Ontario taxes suck, but anything to make money.

its interesting how much this mustang was originally, I had 1of400 Canadian 1970 Cyclone GT’s  and it was only 4100$ in 70 and was extensively optioned. I guess ford really too the “response to European cars” to heart 

I love this forum, I always learn so much. I understand the stock order now. That makes sense. 

did anyone see the yellow 71 m code sell on Barrett-Jackson last night? 

No, what did it go for?

Cheers
How to do a quicky reply to several questions at once!

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1971-FORD-MUSTANG-MACH-1-COUPE-243218

I think I was about 35k usd. Really nice restoration. Numbers matching M code car but not colour matching and no ram air like it was optioned with.

nice car, big money 
 Hmm 35 K eh! (US). 

First thing I noticed was the incorrect hood black-out............. No expense spared frame off nut and bolt restoration, hmmm, wonder what else was wrong on it. Pretty car though.

I like your car . I would love to own a sportsroof with sport deck rear seat. Did previous owners add options to your car ? I don’t see tilt/rim blow wheel and Magnum 500 on the option list. Very nice car .

Yeah it’s had a few things down to it. Definitely not exactly as optioned. 

the interior is upgraded to deluxe, the rim blow wheel, the front bumper, to give it a boss sort of look. But it works for me, and I have almost all of the original parts too 

Details under hood need to be corrected for sure. Hoods are always wrong. Lack of Space saver spare was not part of the no expense spared. I am sure under the car is off is what they show is. A great drive car but is not a concourse show car. If you do a perfect concourse restore you loose your ass on any mustang today. 

Back