Bringing my 73' home

Picked up my 1973 convertible last weekend in Missouri. 

- One owner car with 111,000 miles

- Has not been out of the garage since 1989

- Light Blue with white top with 302 automatic

- Not a straight piece of sheet metal and moderate rust

Going to be a lot of work, and a lot of parts needed....

Front.jpg

Engine.jpg

Interior.jpg

It'll be truly yours when you are finished with it. Looking forward to seeing your progress on it,

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

One thing at a time will bring you there! 
Don't throw anything away! Even if you think now that it's not to be saved.

Looking forward to read about your progress! Good luck!

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

Good luck with your project! What is the plan? Restoration? Light mods? Extensive mods? Nice driver? 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Current plan is to make a cruising car out of it, a bit of a restro rod with mag wheels and a warmed up motor. Plan is to tear the car down and see how extensive the rust damage is. Body and interior will be restored to "stock", may add a few mods like sub frame connectors. I did get a wrench on the harmonic balancer and the motor isn't stuck, so that was a plus.

Interested to hear suggestions/pointers from those who have been through this before.

Edited by Holubs

Looks like you've got a lot of fun ahead of you. Good luck and post lots of pictures.

BTW: Love the spare oil can behind the headlight bucket! :rofl:

Mike

Good luck on the restoration!

ours started out pretty similar to what you have (not as much body work but the rest looks very familair!!)

It's a process and at times it seems like it will never get done and will usually end up costing more then expected but when it starts to come together it is great feeling. Best advise, as most other on here have said is to bag and tag everything and take LOTS of pictures. For us, having the pictures to look back on has saved our bacon more times then I can count!  And, this forum :)

1973 Mustang convertible, F code w/ C4, stock survivor with refresh in progress. Blue glow w/ Blue Comfortweave interior.

On 10/23/2020 at 9:25 AM, mjseakan said:

BTW: Love the spare oil can behind the headlight bucket! 

made me laugh out loud when I saw the pic -Anyone that has run an older car can appriciate that picture and the meaning of having extra oil on board :biggrin:

1973 Mustang convertible, F code w/ C4, stock survivor with refresh in progress. Blue glow w/ Blue Comfortweave interior.

2 hours ago, JimB73 said:

made me laugh out loud when I saw the pic -Anyone that has run an older car can appriciate that picture and the meaning of having extra oil on board :biggrin:

I agree 100 about having extra oil with you. I just don't remember the last time I saw an actual can not a plastic bottle. 

Maybe there is an oil spout to go with the old oil cans. Keep the updates coming. My process to bring my 73 convert back to life was to get it on the road mechanically to keep me interested in finishing the body work.

• Like 1

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Take your time, be thorough and figure out what it needs to be the nice safe driver you want. Chassis, steering and brakes first. 

Enjoy the process, I look forward to seeing your progress!! 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

If you have a budget go ahead and double it, lol. They do snowball as a project. It is pretty easy to take the whole car apart in 2 - 3 days. Of course lots of pics and bag the parts. Put paper tags in the bags ink gets wiped off the bags. I personally do not bag I have 8 of them so I can go look if I get lost.
Have fun I have a Grande that color of blue. 

As far as a safe car. I am building a 72 Q vert right now and it will have at least a 6 point cage and better belts and drive shaft loop. Of course all brakes and suspension new. 

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

• 4 weeks later...

Got the seats and carpet out, typical Midwestern rust holes to be dealt with....

20201115_155004.jpg