Way, Way off topic, yard critter cures sought.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q code
2007 GT
1969 Cougar Eliminator B302
CSX 7000 Shelby Cobra FIA
2020 Edge ST
2002 F250 V10
I have opossums, skunks, armadillos, and raccoons destroying my yard. It has slowed since it cooled off but they will be back I'm sure. We have the yard treated for grub worms every year. Does anyone have a way to run them off. I've heard of coyote urine working but our coyotes refuse to donate in sufficient quantities. The bobcats have enough easy prey in the woods and fields to come into the neighborhood. Any and all input is welcome and appreciated. Chuck

Hmm, we only have a racoon shitting on the shed roof and a few stray cats getting our 3 pet cats excited, then we have black squirrels digging holes in the lawn to bury their "nuts", so  NO idea!!

Ask David to come shoot them as I think he shoots just about anything. 

David, just having some fun, don't get over reactionary.

The armadillos are an easy shoot if you want wait for them from 10 PM until 4 AM. Shooting skunks is a very risky business, the opossums scurry with the door opening, the raccoons are too smart to provide an easy shot. I'm considering a suppressed .22 with Gen 1 or 2 night scope and sub-sonic rounds coupled with lots of caffeine (maybe not I already oscillate on 2 cups of coffee). The moles and gophers are yet another problem to be dealt with.  I know, I know it is a first world problem. I need to remember I am not hungry, I am housed, and no one is shooting at me, presently. Chuck

1) Read up on the trapping laws in your state.  Out where I am you have to release or kill on site- no relocation.

Skunks - use a live trap.  I have had good luck with Ztraps, as they are tube type (once trapped they cannot see you as you approach from the side).

Raccoons are crafty, strong, smart little bastards.  Many will not enter a live trap as they have talked with their buddies and know better.  You can try a live trap.  If kosher where you live look into a Duke dog proof Raccoon trap.  They are superior.  

Both critters like kibble.  I use whatever premium stuff my wife gets for her dog. 

As for an armadillo I have no clue.

If you decide to use a Duke trap you will need a noose.  

Once you get them in a live trap or on the end of a noose it is up to you.  There are humane ways to kill the critters.  I have trapped a couple skunks and both didn’t spray when trapped or when dispatched.  Starting fluid has either in it- just say-n.... It is good for more than starting engines.

As stated in an earlier reply don’t shoot a skunk.  

This year I had three Raccoons in my garden at the start of the season.  Since Covid impacted the food supply chain I wasn’t going to let the raccoons destroy my garden.  They are no longer with us- and I had a great garden this year.

Bentworker, Thanks for the response. On the skunks I suppose shot placement is critical. The raccoons are smart and capable. I suppose I'll need to become a nocturnal for a time. As far as relocation here, it is above or below ground level.  Glad your garden was productive this year. Chuck

Racoons love melon. I put a fresh melon in the trap and next night I had one in. The melon has to be located in such a way that they can't lick it from outside the trap. However, this is not a practical way of ridding of them. They run in packs and it will be hard to rid of all of them. They will quickly learn once they see their buddy in the cage. Plus you need to drive the trap many miles away to release the creature so it doesn't come back to the same place. In my case, they are not destroying anything so I have learnt to live with them. Just have to clean a little of poop twice a year. There is one that comes at night and climbs a big pine tree where s/he stays for a long time. I know for sure I don't have a nest in my property, which is what I would worry the most about. I am also hoping that the racoons can control the mice.

We don't have Armadillos in Wisconsin so I have no knowledge. Skunks stink so I wonder what will they do once trapped.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, I do shoot everything. My  neighbor knows when he hears a shot something died. I finally wiped out the ground hogs did not have a single on this year. I will work on racoons now since season is open. Got some coyotes trained been putting up bait and will set traps for them. We have had two sighting and pictures made of mountain lions here. My neighbor has had run in with bear three times this summer so I have a bear tag. 
I am on light duty right now so not been out in woods much. Had a guy from Ohio get in touch wanting me to take him squirrel hunting. I had to laugh. He wants the white ones we have here. Hawks take them out pretty often they cannot hide when solid white and they have brown eyes. I checked with all the neighbors not pets out so will probably set some snares and see what comes in. 
I worked for over 4 months in Africa as a hunting guide. I had to shoot hundreds of monkeys and baboons. Caught lots of smaller cats but could not catch the leopard to relocate it. 
If I have a garden I have to take them out. 
When deer season opens back up going to use my .458 Win. Mag. with 510 grain solids. I can probably get three deer with one shot. I have been putting down corn in a way to get them to line up. I have 7 deer tags I think this year. Costs me $2.00 for license since I am old. 

I talked to game warden couple years ago and he said nobody hunts anymore and everything is way over populated. 
I had one of the live traps from Harbor Freight and raccoon ate the bottom out last one I caught. They do not want you to relocate them here. My sister had them in her attic and they would not allow them to trap and relocate.

Slightly off topic, but how do I get these housecats to stay out of my yard?

ok5t4D9X5gfu-krCINTKsnvX4fMsWGngt6eadoIyVSSXxIlEA82KO_37ivnXC_HV1V0f416dOhKhfATx1jU3O_MHkk1EKsCmCxToNmEhprFt7qiqwFlI2sV5v0bkP6oBHw4X21-XYo5mXBYVDxkfLUfEsu-nXxS6YbZGpOS410m2DZySWqInln7g3tIDnvuU46uj1WKK_cgDe9XGvpepWQJXBPv96kWBvUXgwEg7mLDSBiIGnoY17mhT3jcPlajyHgbZuaYW6liQAGqG2CEcJ7G0Lc9cI35t82dg7FWkJDx-V2wb542vs2gCG1bGD7hlVJ7embfT1ExPGf6HmBD6gabCyO8sYCNC1wD85TdoON2kHfFUq3zrM56nV-DBUoiVSAQ20oyVtx2FECK8j8eEcPr5eL_ZzyAEVrf_a1HHh-F3OyEKpyI0rGZ0HVDNrxyARoG9nnqHV8MDe0kB4g7yoBxjiPPUPUiVhPy-cSke99iZ4BZZYRQLcWt6sKnM0SBGM4IulSDZ2uCJXrjCNnAYedjJpYLP1Vr-OGwzbq8jQ8pcGYmpo5gbn-ZxLlptC1lZveayiK0LbssWZmyPXznOBdS5-X-hn0yibDWv_hWoJxmtKiIIhkg8t2RvOFr4yvQz9ckui26p-0kv2SxQJL26Pj7cotycxszIgNeOkz3PTXUN75uWEN9OlcHWUtRA8A=w1227-h920-no

David, can you help? :D

Slightly off topic, but how do I get these housecats to stay out of my yard?

David, can you help? :D
Find out who owns them and tell them to keep their damn cats indoors, where they belong. No need for cats to roam on other peoples property.

We have 3 cats and they only go out when we take them out and yes, cats can be trained. They don't go off our front yard and to get them in, I only need to tap a walking stick on the ground and they go in. I wish our damn neighbor would do the same thing. 

Talking a friend out of buying a Yellow 1971 H code on Ebay for $4500.00 11 years ago !!   (Not listening to his , but it is wierd, it has staggered shocks and holes in the shock tower)   LOL

Mark

Talking a friend out of buying a Yellow 1971 H code on Ebay for $4500.00 11 years ago !!   (Not listening to his , but it is wierd, it has staggered shocks and holes in the shock tower)   LOL

Mark
Posted in the wrong thread Mark. Just thought I'd mention it.

One thing that we did to keep dogs out of trash cans. The electrician at work took a ballast for a florescent light. He wired it up and put a plug on leads and told me to put down plywood then sheet of metal then set the metal trash cans on wood on the metal. Hooked one lead to the sheet of metal on ground and the other to trash can. When the dog would stand on the metal and touch the trash can with nose or feet would knock him for a loop. He told me was several thousand volts but no amps so no harm just knocks them silly. I do not know how he wired it I am not electric savy. A couple times and no more trash can raids.
My dad use to have a Model T coil wired up to his car, one of the wooden boxes. If he put his bumper to yours and you came and reached out and got your door handle would knock your arm off.  I bet someone on here knows how to do that one. Would be good to have at car show touch the car and bam. 

Back