Tilt Column Tuesday

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
429CJ, 4 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock N case, A/C, P/W, tilt, fold down seats, int. wipers, deluxe interior.
I haven’t posted in awhile but I still have done quite a bit. 

I need to do an update video soon! 

so I’m currently waiting on all new suspension so I can get it off the dolly and back on wheels! 

in the mean time I’ve done a few little fun projects.

new pins and bushings on door hinges, painted some plastics black (from blue) and today decided to take apart my tilt column and inspect/clean and paint. 

glad I did! Looks like someone has been in here before but I did find two things. 

the blinker clip plastic detent was broken, I think I have another one so I’ll change that. 
also the little pin the the teeth of the tilt height adjust catches on was not in place properly, that would explain it not working right. 
so I fixed that and now I can start cleaning/greasing/painting. 

ita a good day, just chugging along. 

hope everyone is doing good on their projects 

098B63ED-12D5-4153-BD6B-F60C7F908A24.jpeg

564E33F5-FAFB-4B09-8EAA-2AB817CFA021.jpeg

C575D586-7D8D-4982-BF95-4030C1568B68.jpeg

I so need to take apart my tilt column, but it looks overwhelming. I also have an issue with the tilt coming off if you put some weight on the wheel. I thought it could by a worn detent gear, but I have not been able to find that specific part.

I so need to take apart my tilt column, but it looks overwhelming. I also have an issue with the tilt coming off if you put some weight on the wheel. I thought it could by a worn detent gear, but I have not been able to find that specific part.
Hey there! I’m glad you responded, I was just cruising around yesterday trying to find tire and rims sizes and I think you have the exact set up I want. 
I’ll throw you a message and we can chat about that.

also, the steering column isn’t so bad at all in fact I can take picture for you of the areas where the tilt works and you can get an idea. 
but honestly I had it stripped down in an hour. 
the only special tool was the puller. 

I was just wondering about you the other day.  Glad to see you are still at it and things are moving along fine.  Will be waiting for your next video.
I’m still here! I actually have been busy working on it and not filming as much as I should. I’ll do at least a quick update video with pics soon

Hey Tony here are some videos that might help. They did for me when I rebuilt my tilt column.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hXJF6hmM8w&feature=emb_logo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG-CRUZJwBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdgqn1L2beU

This piece is often broken, pot metal and unrepairable.  Very difficult to source.

View attachment 45582
In my case the steering is still usable except when you push it down, which doesn't happen often. I will keep it until it becomes unusable. Maybe some day I am lucky and find this piece or find a working tilt column for a decent price. Otherwise, my plan C is to swap for a fixed column, which I already have a spare one. I don't ever use the tilt, but maybe if I keep eating cheese and drinking beer I may. :whistling:

Back