What.......Another New 71-73 Part!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Something new for us and it isn't even Christmas yet!

Anyone that is a member of the Mustang Club of America may have already seen these. In the Oct 2020 edition of Mustang Times Magazine, there is an announcement from NPD about a flat hood spring they have been working on. Donor cars with good springs have become rarer by the day. Good to see that some vendors realize Ford did continue to build Mustangs after 1970.

flatspring.jpg

Something new for us and it isn't even Christmas yet!

Anyone that is a member of the Mustang Club of America may have already seen these. In the Oct 2020 edition of Mustang Times Magazine, there is an announcement from NPD about a flat hood spring they have been working on. Donor cars with good springs have become rarer by the day. Good to see that some vendors realize Ford did continue to build Mustangs after 1970.

View attachment 45596
Thanks for the info Steve!

Hopefully a company will start the production of correct hood hinges with phosphate and oil as well. Still looking for a NOS set...  all the used ones have a lot of play.

So these are the correct hood springs for the NACA hood application?
The advert specifies Ram Air Equipped only, not every hood with NACA scoops is a Ram Air equipped car as we all well know. Is there a difference in spring tension with the flat wound springs? I don't know, I'm sure someone has looked into it.

Mine are either stainless or have been plated. They seem stiff as hell to me. But that could also be the hinges themselves. I have not fully investigated. I'm not a fan of the shiny springs though. I'd prefer something that looked a little more OEM. 

20201109_210140.jpg

Mine are either stainless or have been plated. They seem stiff as hell to me. But that could also be the hinges themselves. I have not fully investigated. I'm not a fan of the shiny springs though. I'd prefer something that looked a little more OEM. 

View attachment 45843
Big Red those are not stock, FastE probably had them plated

I saw the note that was for Ram Air also. If you got a NASA hood Ram Air or not, you got the flat springs. With the ram air installed they were marginal if you had lube on your hinges. I always kept a prop rod when working under my hood you will get slammed. Of course I am sure they loose tension over the years since they are stretched out with the hood closed.

Spike, their description would be more accurate if stated for Mach 1 style hood with or without ram air. I have an early production (9-21-70) and a late production (7-28-71) '71 Mach 1s, neither of which had production installed ram air but had flat hinge springs. After adding ram air to them, I had no problem with the hood staying up. Just stay away from the hinges with a five-gallon bucket of lube!! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. I have a convertible with an original NACA hood and it has these flat springs.
JD... is your car all original ?

I have had 4-5 72 and 73 Q code convertibles with the nasa hoods and none of them has flat sided springs.

They were all rusty parts cars but complete so cannot say for sure what is correct but it seems odd.

Maybe you check with Kevin who has a collection of big block convertibles to see what his cars had

My J Code Vert came with round springs on the date code correct hinges. They looked original to the car when I got it. They hold the hood up fine... I reinstalled them after the restoration, just because)) I have a spare set of the correct ram air hinges... 

JD... is your car all original ?

I have had 4-5 72 and 73 Q code convertibles with the nasa hoods and none of them has flat sided springs.

They were all rusty parts cars but complete so cannot say for sure what is correct but it seems odd.

Maybe you check with Kevin who has a collection of big block convertibles to see what his cars had
Hi Don, I have to check the date codes on the hinges . The car is being restored at the moment. The Tu-tone hood was ordered from factory according to my Marti report.Most of the car was original when I bought it. Just the wheels ,exhaust and interior had been changed. My car was produced early April 1973.

Back