Seeking advice: Good and the bad about 71-73 convertibles

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classicsguy

Reaction score
My Car
1968 GT/CS California Special
I am considering to purchase a 1972 convertible project. Seeking advice on the good and bad about convertibles of these years. Thanks for the input.

Can't say much bad but there are differences.
1971 you had to pay more for the deluxe interior was not standard. 351 way more desirable than 302. 6,121 of all models and engines made in 1971. Of course the Q, R, J and C codes are pretty rare. It is sort of odd that the H code with 3 speed only had 85 built. 
All 71-73 verts have power top and glass rear window. You had black or white top only. The front seats are different for 71 and also the rear seat belts and side panels are different. PW for 71 72 are the same.

1972, This year you get the deluxe interior at no added cost. If you go to the Ford Facts Book on the site will tell you all the standard items that come with convertible. Again Q and R codes are rare but again the H code with three speed only built 82 of them. I have one of them was crashed so just a parts car now. Several members here have Q codes, I have one of the 330 with automatic. When you ordered the Q code in 72 you got the NASA hood. You could get the side stripes on convertible if you got the decor package. Decor group got you Mach 1 grill and black out of lower& rubber front bumper. You could option a vert with any option you could get on Mach 1 with the exception of the Mach 1 name, honey comb rear panel and plastic carpet insert. PW option same as 71. So there are so well optioned verts out there. 6,401 total build.

1973, Again you got the deluxe interior as standard. No R codes no CJ best was the Q code which was called out as 351 4-V on window sticker and air cleaner. There are a few little differences to the 72. Heavier front bumper to pass the crash test. The Q had smaller intake valves. Toward the end of year the factory that did the comfort weave material burned so some have odd interior codes. Again you can option one out to be what ever you wanted. Ford Facts Book is specific to what you could get. 72 PW has different switches and bezels that are common to other Ford models so easier to locate NOS parts. 11,853 were built so maybe a better selection of cars and parts for this year. 

I drive a 73 vert and building a 72 Q block sanding now. 

The fenders, hood, doors, are common to all models. Glass in doors are different all models. Windshield different. Trunk on vert same as coupe. 

71 - 73 rides and drives much better than previous years. Just like any mustang you need to do in person review of any car you are buying. Check for rust and correct parts on car really kills value for small engine and rust and not numbers matching.

20200905_155926.jpg

DSC_1058.JPG

Thanks for that great information David! It will serve well to the persons that are looking or have already a 71-73 Convertible. Very very helpful!

Can't say much bad but there are differences.
1971 you had to pay more for the deluxe interior was not standard. 351 way more desirable than 302. 6,121 of all models and engines made in 1971. Of course the Q, R, J and C codes are pretty rare. It is sort of odd that the H code with 3 speed only had 85 built. 
All 71-73 verts have power top and glass rear window. You had black or white top only. The front seats are different for 71 and also the rear seat belts and side panels are different. PW for 71 72 are the same.

1972, This year you get the deluxe interior at no added cost. If you go to the Ford Facts Book on the site will tell you all the standard items that come with convertible. Again Q and R codes are rare but again the H code with three speed only built 82 of them. I have one of them was crashed so just a parts car now. Several members here have Q codes, I have one of the 330 with automatic. When you ordered the Q code in 72 you got the NASA hood. You could get the side stripes on convertible if you got the decor package. Decor group got you Mach 1 grill and black out of lower& rubber front bumper. You could option a vert with any option you could get on Mach 1 with the exception of the Mach 1 name, honey comb rear panel and plastic carpet insert. PW option same as 71. So there are so well optioned verts out there. 6,401 total build.

1973, Again you got the deluxe interior as standard. No R codes no CJ best was the Q code which was called out as 351 4-V on window sticker and air cleaner. There are a few little differences to the 72. Heavier front bumper to pass the crash test. The Q had smaller intake valves. Toward the end of year the factory that did the comfort weave material burned so some have odd interior codes. Again you can option one out to be what ever you wanted. Ford Facts Book is specific to what you could get. 72 PW has different switches and bezels that are common to other Ford models so easier to locate NOS parts. 11,853 were built so maybe a better selection of cars and parts for this year. 

I drive a 73 vert and building a 72 Q block sanding now. 

The fenders, hood, doors, are common to all models. Glass in doors are different all models. Windshield different. Trunk on vert same as coupe. 

71 - 73 rides and drives much better than previous years. Just like any mustang you need to do in person review of any car you are buying. Check for rust and correct parts on car really kills value for small engine and rust and not numbers matching.

View attachment 45604

View attachment 45603
Are you sure about the front fender's?

Are you sure about the front fender's?
The 73 model year fenders are different from the 71-72 model years because of the bumper redesign. As David said, the fenders are common to all models in a given year.

Aside from the fenders, the 73 model year cars have quite few other subtle differences. I know there are posts that have listed them in the past. You can search for them if you want more specifics..

Last edited by a moderator:
The "bad" on these cars is rust. Convertibles have an "inner rocker" box structure that helps to replace the support lost with the removal of the roof. That inner rocker tends to rust out due to design, owner neglect and not being properly protected at the factory, and is a major job to replace. 

The other spots to watch for rust are typical Mustang locations - trunk floor, taillight panel, quarter panels, door bottoms, cowl, inner fender aprons, shock towers, etc. 

What Himikiller said. The rockers are zinc (?) coated on the outside so they don't rust where you can see it. They'll look perfectly good but rust from the inside out. 
what you don't want is a newly painted car fail inspection 16 months later because the rockers burst open and the rusted innards spill out like you tipped over a box of corn flakes. 
ask me how I know..... or better yet don't... because it's one of those memories I'm trying to forget. :) 

Back