Calling all Tilt column experts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
429CJ, 4 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock N case, A/C, P/W, tilt, fold down seats, int. wipers, deluxe interior.
So I went ahead and took apart my tilt column to go through, inspect, clean, paint and figure out why it wasn’t working. 

first off it should be noted that it was obvious someone had been in here before. 

first things first. The Plastic blinker cam was broken (big surprise) so I was able to swap that out with a donor I had. 

secondly I found the pin that locks into the teeth of the tilt (Gear?) was not in properly. So I fixed that! 
cleaned, checked bearing and re Greased. Painted the housing and housings black after removing rust. Installed a new firewall rubber gasket.

heres the real issue. All back together and the tilt function still did not operate. Push forward and nothing...
the little arm that contacts the tilt lever with teeth simply didn’t have enough to overcome the release spring. i looked at it for awhile and not knowing If it’s missing a part I had an idea. I made a smal bushing out of a 6mm stainless nut. Put that in place, and boom!!! Works like a champ. 

anyways, thoughts? Suggestions? Was it missing a piece? Regardless I’m glad that this little bushing worked. it gave it enough push to compress the spring and release and yet still have tension so it’s not sloppy. 

7DA278FC-1081-4C1D-A9B0-AC708E7F2ED6.jpeg

7C2511A1-CAEB-4674-9E03-EFAAF6A1D67C.png

E4CA4708-D1FB-457D-B3B1-6BFC2CB3D91B.jpeg

7780077F-DE26-43FA-BF65-55B59D0C732E.jpeg

I am very far from being an "expert" but I have rebuilt my tilt steering column. I would need to see more pics of the lever hinge area to see if all parts are there and everything is in place. I did have the same issue you did with the pivot pin that the locking arm with the teeth rotated on. Mine had slipped off one side cocking the arm a bit causing it to get stuck  (a common problem with these) so the previous owner forced the steering wheel there by breaking 3 of the arms teeth. I was able to acquire another arm and I bought the pins that West Coast Classic Cougar sells        

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/catch-locking-pawl-tilt-steering-column-repro-1970-1973-mercury-cougar-/-1970-1973.html?sessionthemeid=26  I cleaned everything removed the rust regreased and painted it then once everything was reassembled it worked properly. By the way you are doing a great job on your stang!!

There is a tilt column expert just North of Kansas City.  He was referred to me by WCCC.

his name is Tony Augustine and his email is [email protected]

When I decide to rebuild mine I will take it to him.  He has the parts, new upgraded bushings, etc.  and he will rebuild them for you too.

kcmash

I will put this in my list of projects for the winter 2029 :whistling:
You must be getting younger Tony!  I am debating whether to pull my column this year for a rebuild.  No way do I think I will do it in 2029!

kcmash

Back