Staggered shock question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 dark green
***OLD PERSON POST***  See my last post, I made an error, I do not have staggered shocks just a staggered mind.

Have not really thought about my rear shocks as I decide what leaf springs to install but I have a question.  In searching the threads on the springs I have seen some info on the staggerd shocks.  They were used on 351 4v and up.  My '72 is an H code, now with upgraded 4v heads/intake.  But it has the rear staggered shocks which, from what I have read, would not have been on my 2v H code original set up.   Are the shock mounting points to the upper body the same for either set up or do the staggered shocks get their own trunk mounting points?  If  not then i guess my staggered shocks could have been put on by a prior owner.   Not sure if I should replace my shocks when I do the leaf springs, they look to be fairly new, coil over shocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have not really thought about my rear shocks as I decide what leaf springs to install but I have a question.  In searching the threads on the springs I have seen some info on the staggerd shocks.  They were used on 351 4v and up.  My '72 is an H code, now with upgraded 4v heads/intake.  But it has the rear staggered shocks which, from what I have read, would not have been on my 2v H code original set up.   Are the shock mounting points to the upper body the same for either set up or do the staggered shocks get their own trunk mounting points?  If  not then i guess my staggered shocks could have been put on by a prior owner.   Not sure if I should replace my shocks when I do the leaf springs, they look to be fairly new, coil over shocks.
The competition suspension was a stand alone option in "72. Check your Marti, of Emminger Invoice if you have, or even the original Bill of sale which will show this as an add on to the base car.. 

Jim, I am NOT 100% sure, but if your car is a Mach 1, it would have had the Competition suspension, which included staggered shocks. However, I think it could be ordered as an option . I'm sure you'll get confirmation on that from others. The top mount point are different for sure, so not easy to convert from non staggered to staggered. 

If you have coil over shocks, you don't need them and might put too much pressure on the top mounts, the same as air shocks do.

For springs, DEFINITELY get Eaton Detroit Springs springs. NPD sell them or you can order from Eaton, or one of their distributors. On mine, I just installed Eaton ML 1823  (Boss 351) at 152.5 lbs spring rate and I love the ride, firm, but not bone jarring. If you want a softer ride, then the 138 lb s/r are the stock spring for your car.

Go to Eaton's website or call them directly for info and help. I don't have that info at hand, do a google search for Eaton Detroit Springs.

Competition Suspension was included in the Mach 1 package. At the base level, it consisted of uprated springs and shocks, and the variable ratio box if equipped with P/S. It was a standalone option on any other car except for the 250-6. To get the rear sway bar, staggered shocks & larger front bar, you had to have one of the 4V engines, where it was either included, or a mandatory option at extra cost. 

thanks, than answers that question as it is a Mach 1.  Stanglover, how was the hight of the Eaton springs?   I was thinking or ordering theirs with a +1" as I like a little rake from the rear to the front but do not want a 4 x 4 look.

thanks, than answers that question as it is a Mach 1.  Stanglover, how was the hight of the Eaton springs?   I was thinking or ordering theirs with a +1" as I like a little rake from the rear to the front but do not want a 4 x 4 look.
I ordered stock height, i.e.  standard eye. If you order custom springs, they will cost quite a bit more. Another alternative is NPD sell 1 " longer shackles that they say are made by Eaton, but I didn't see them listed on the website. Compared to the crapped out GAT's, it sits about 1" higher at 26 1/4" to center wheel arch on 14" rims 245x60x14 tires. I might get a set of longer shackles if they settle over winter, but for now, I'm happy. Here's a pic.

New springs.JPG

Jim, I am NOT 100% sure, but if your car is a Mach 1, it would have had the Competition suspension, which included staggered shocks. However, I think it could be ordered as an option . I'm sure you'll get confirmation on that from others. The top mount point are different for sure, so not easy to convert from non staggered to staggered. 

If you have coil over shocks, you don't need them and might put too much pressure on the top mounts, the same as air shocks do.

For springs, DEFINITELY get Eaton Detroit Springs springs. NPD sell them or you can order from Eaton, or one of their distributors. On mine, I just installed Eaton ML 1823  (Boss 351) at 152.5 lbs spring rate and I love the ride, firm, but not bone jarring. If you want a softer ride, then the 138 lb s/r are the stock spring for your car.

Go to Eaton's website or call them directly for info and help. I don't have that info at hand, do a google search for Eaton Detroit Springs.
Jim, Hemikiller is right!

I own a H-Code 72 Mach1 too and I can tell you, she did not come with staggered shocks. And yes, the mounting points of staggered shocks to the upper body are different to the standard ones. If your car has staggered shocks and the mounting points are at the common places, then there is something wrong.

Cheers Frank

Competition Suspension was included in the Mach 1 package. At the base level, it consisted of uprated springs and shocks, and the variable ratio box if equipped with P/S. It was a standalone option on any other car except for the 250-6. To get the rear sway bar, staggered shocks & larger front bar, you had to have one of the 4V engines, where it was either included, or a mandatory option at extra cost. 
Is this the same for 1971 cars?  I had the idea that only 4 speed cars got the staggered shocks? It must be more complex than that?  

Is this the same for 1971 cars?  I had the idea that only 4 speed cars got the staggered shocks? It must be more complex than that?  
You're probably think of 69 428CJ cars. All 71-73 w/4V engines got the staggered shocks. 

OMG!!!  NEVERMIND ALL   I am suffering from old person syndrome, CRS (can't remember s&%t) .   I DO NOT have staggered shocks, not sure why I thought they were, I just went to take pictures of them and they went back to non-staggered...........or maybe there is some supernatural force at work, or.......................wait, what am I talking about...????

Sorry all

OMG!!!  NEVERMIND ALL   I am suffering from old person syndrome, CRS (can't remember s&%t) .   I DO NOT have staggered shocks, not sure why I thought they were, I just went to take pictures of them and they went back to non-staggered...........or maybe there is some supernatural force at work, or.......................wait, what am I talking about...????

Sorry all
Well my friend you do have a sense of humor and that's a good thing.

I had a 72 Q code and a 72 H code Mach 1. I know the Q had staggered shocks, but I can't remember what the H had. As my signature says, "I learn something new every day" and how true is that. 

Back