Re-visiting 3 point seat belt conversions.

10 hours ago, Mach1s said:

Funny as I just replaced my factory erector set type today with some I purchased from Summit Racing for 126.99 (pair) for the RetroBelt RB-6573MUSTKT-BL. I wanted to put some shoulder belts in a 67 F100 I am doing and ordered these. I liked them and the "Retro" type buckle that I decided to put them in my 71 and they seem to be working great.

New Belts-1.jpg

New Belts-2.jpg

New Belts-3.jpg

Interesting. Apart from the lift latch style, the shoulder belt part looks like it has a free sliding tang,  held and adjusted by a thinga-m-jig!! (can't think of what it's called). The shoulder retractor belt certainly looks neater. Thanks for posting that.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

They come with a slide adjuster to hold the male buckle up so you don't have to search for it. They have the "Oshit" stop as well. They seem to be GREAT to $125.00. I ordered another set for my 67 F100 this morning and if I can figure out a good spot for the back seat I will order another set for that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mach1s said:

They come with a slide adjuster to hold the male buckle up so you don't have to search for it. They have the "Oshit" stop as well. They seem to be GREAT to $125.00. I ordered another set for my 67 F100 this morning and if I can figure out a good spot for the back seat I will order another set for that.

Slide adjuster = thinga-m-jig, That's what it's called!

Good info and input for the thread. Thanks.

Geoff.

On 5/14/2021 at 8:57 AM, Stanglover said:

Hemikiller, NPD also sell Retro Belt by name and "other" which are probably Seatbelt Solutions as you say. When I got mine, I thought I was buying from WescoPerformance in Ca, but they turned out to be just a distributor for S/S. What gets me is, looking at all of them, they all look the same, same parts, buckles etc., so who does actually make them? I suspect now, they all buy the same components and just add the webbing to make their own version of the same thing.

I don't understand why the need to re-install the old retractor boots. I had no problems with that. Besides, one of my old ones is broken and not repairable.

I did NOT get a boot for the sash and you're right, the inner belt sleeve is nowhere near a fit for our cars, that's why I bought the 6" cover from Seatbelt Planet and that seems to work ok, but not perfect. As for the drop sash, if you look back at my ugly pic, you can see exactly where it sits. For me it's much better than before.

For others considering buying 3 point belts, make SURE you buy with the LONG "C" bar if you're retro-fitting. None of these conversion type sets are perfect, not even the ones that are supposed to be for "our" car years. Do your research!!!! Ask questions.

I added the boots for looks, and to keep anything from falling into the mechanism. The plastic snap-on mechanism shield had to be removed to allow the belt to retract fully. 

I'm 6'3", so my shoulder sits high enough that the belt may sit too low with the sash. Once I get the 351 swap completed and the car is driveable, I'll make a decision on that.

The best part of this swap is not having to unhook the shoulder belt to release the E-brake!

seatbelts.jpg

1 hour ago, Hemikiller said:

I added the boots for looks, and to keep anything from falling into the mechanism. The plastic snap-on mechanism shield had to be removed to allow the belt to retract fully. 

I'm 6'3", so my shoulder sits high enough that the belt may sit too low with the sash. Once I get the 351 swap completed and the car is driveable, I'll make a decision on that.

The best part of this swap is not having to unhook the shoulder belt to release the E-brake!

seatbelts.jpg

Do you mean those belt would not fully retract with their boot on it? That would be odd for sure.

So, you  have the opposite problem to me, you're too tall and I'm too short!!! Sucks doesn't it. But then, if we were all the same height, wouldn't life be boring. I would not add the sash if it were me either. A problem for the shorter guys amongst us is we need the seat closer upfront and still we had to fight the belts to reach the stupidly positioned "parking brake" especially with a manual trans. 

• Like 1

Geoff.

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2021 at 3:06 PM, Bentworker said:

I wanted to give an update on my seatbelt planet order.  

Don’t order the universal 3 point 301 style belts like I did.  The retractor and the fixed end of the belt cannot be nested on top of one another (they need to on a Mustang).  They make a different set called the DF13 that is designed for the fixed end of the belt and the retractor end of the belt to nest on top of each other and be secured by one bolt.  Also noteworthy is that 110” was too short, not allowing you to lean forward to the wheel.

The 8” shoulder extension was pretty cool.  It lowered shoulder belt to a much more comfortable location.

I have reached out to seatbelt planet to see if they would make me up a DF13 set, but with the 8” shoulder extension.  Also to see if they have a slip tongue instead of the grip tongue which runs into the shoulder loop and keeps the retractor from retracting all the way.

I’ll update when I get to trying seatbelt planet version 2.0

67314FA8-0503-46EF-8E4E-D03DB955367D.jpeg

Update- Seatbelt Planet semi custom DF13 with an 8" shoulder extension is a winner.

Not like the original belts at all, but it seems to fit well.

A0D44A72-4076-4E8F-B09D-724143EAC0A8.jpeg

7A0D01FA-E5E5-4E60-8011-D7F3DE231B73.jpeg

1FBADDC8-111E-43F6-BBE6-BADD6397D99B.jpeg

Edited by Bentworker

3 hours ago, Bentworker said:

Update- Seatbelt Planet semi custom DF13 with an 8" shoulder extension is a winner.

Not like the original belts at all, but it seems to fit well.

That's awesome news.

I'll be honest, I kinda wish I'd gone with them now, but what I have is so-so and will have to do. I find the buckle tang hard to get hold of because it ends up high and with my wonkey shoulders, hard to get hold of.

Geoff.