Help me pick the color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What color should I repaint? Having trouble deciding. I don’t plan to keep it, thinking re-sell re

• Wimbledon White back to original, blackout hood and stripes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Re-sell Red, blackout hood and stripes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Blue, Argent hood and stripes

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Reaction score
My Car
31 Model A Station Wagon “Woody”
69 Mach 1 - 351C
72 Mach 1 - 351C
96 Cobra Convertible
Having a tough time deciding, I have had years to think about this and still am struggling with the decision.  Original white...re-sell red...cool shade of blue with argent accents.  Your thoughts are appreciated.  Sorry yellow, not this time.  I do like the silver color that they were painted, but would rather avoid a metallic.

Metallic does pose a problem if and when any touch up is needed for sure, BUT my code V Light Pewter (silver color) always gets lots of attention and compliments no matter where I'm at with it.

My vote, Light Pewter. 

Downside, hard to get the exact formula. Mine was camera matched to un-faded original paint, but then it's up to the painter to get it right. Air pressure and humidity can change with way it looks.

Paint, while not a permanent item, tends to stay on a car for a long time, due to the time and expense of changing colors. 

My recommendation, pick the color you think would look best on your car and you will be the most satisfied with. If you go with the popular vote you will most likely be saying in a few months, "Why didn't I...."

I am surprised at the popularity of white.  If you voted for white, if you don’t mind, please tell me why you selected white.  Sorry green, not going to happen.  Pewter—keep talking, I sure love that color....(but no) ha ha

staying original color does have it's advantages for some.   How difficult would it be for the new buyer to return/restore this mustang to "original" condition?  If it is possible then original color would be a selling plus point IMO.

Out of the three colors options above I chose white.  I really like the look of these cars in white with black stripes.  I even thought of painting my car white back years ago, but I decided to stay factory color and went with Pewter. Painting the car Pewter can be difficult at times. But it looks great when done. If your painter is not careful he can get tiger striping in the paint.  Its customary to overlap each pass of paint approx 50%. With Pewter paint this can leave tigerstriping. I had a very faint amount on my roof in the right light. To prevent this after you do all your passes, you can pull back your gun a little and and dust the panel your shooting you help minimize the tigerstriping.  When I go to paint my car again, it will either be Pewter or Lime Green.  

I did a little scan of Marti's book Mustang by the numbers. White was a very popular color in the day. 1971 there were 9,538 built white. This was # 8 if I scanned the numbers right. 1972 there were 17,175 and white was # 1 color. 1973 there were 11,263 and white was #3. The # 1 color I hate is black is never clean on interior or exterior and I have one of the Special Paint 1973 convertibles that were black. Marti cannot tell how many were black but there was 277 Special Paint convertibles built in 1973. I have two cars with white comfort weave material both convertibles and I do like them. I have a convertible and a Mach 1 with Ginger which is by far the easiest to keep looking clean.
So your color choice if up to you but keeping original color is usually a good idea but no law against change.

Had the same conundrum years ago when I had mine painted. Stuck with the white and don't regret it. Came very close to replicating the color scheme I had seen on another 73 Mach1 I had looked at though. It was green, ginger interior (as mine is) but with argent hood and stripes, front/rear spoliers. Normally I don't care for green but that combo really popped.

I'm in the same boat.. 71 mach 1, M code, Wimbledon white & vermillion interior. I'm up in the air about a color choice.
Same colors as ours! Wimbledon white & vermillion interior.  Maybe David could tell us how many were white with Red interior? 

Thanks..........so 485. 

Back