Vinyl wrapped cracked dash

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73FastBk

Reaction score
Hey there,

I’m new to the forum, I recently decided to vinyl wrap my cracked original dash. I have zero experience in sewing but took a chance lol. I plan on doing some other things but let me know what y’all think? 

cheers

CAD1D6A0-9E01-4C02-A6F4-5C7A0516C43B.jpeg

F0CD75A7-DC16-4CD0-BC71-DBB2700D4DCD.jpeg

9BD396E0-4815-4819-83C5-73ABD9211DBA.jpeg

Ya It’s cheap if you do it. I spend about 100 bucks total. The vinyl was 30 bucks and glue was about 13. I had to spend 70 bucks on a used sewing machine haha. I also vinyl wrapped the center console arm rest for the heck of it lol! I can send a picture as well, It turned out great. My next project will be to vinyl wrap the original door panels. Need to repair the cracks on the arm rest. I bought a pair of off of cj’s but the quality is crap, I didn’t realize the new door panels are hard plastic. 😡 

EEBE3A49-C7E5-446C-8261-AFD67184E3CA.jpeg

Dang........  It takes genius just to thread a sewing machine ( I tell my wife that cause she always smiles). Did you work for NASA or something?  :goodpost:  Looks good!!!    Thanks for sharing!

You can also cover the inside back seat panels with vinyl. The gloves you get with a sand blast cabinet do not last maybe a few hours and gone and are expensive. I sewed up a set for mine that I put on today will see how they last. I went to the local tech school and took course in upholstery the commercial machines are scary will sew 11 " a second. I got a great Singer commercial on Craigslist for $350 will sew anything you put in it.

Dang........  It takes genius just to thread a sewing machine ( I tell my wife that cause she always smiles). Did you work for NASA or something?  :goodpost:  Looks good!!!    Thanks for sharing!
Hahahahaha, thank god for youtube. I would have never figured out how to sew or use that machine if it wasn’t for that 😂😃

Please help me out. I don't get the sewing machine. What am I missing?

And do have a link for the ginger vinyl?
I bought a sewing machine to sew the vinyl in two parts. Also I used vinyl from a local warehouse here in Houston. I was going to order online but it couldnt risk the color. I took parts of my interior to the warehouse to match the color perfectly  :classic_biggrin:

Id be willing to purchase and mail it to you if they need ginger colored vinyl  :thumb:  just pay for the shipping and product 

You can also cover the inside back seat panels with vinyl. The gloves you get with a sand blast cabinet do not last maybe a few hours and gone and are expensive. I sewed up a set for mine that I put on today will see how they last. I went to the local tech school and took course in upholstery the commercial machines are scary will sew 11 " a second. I got a great Singer commercial on Craigslist for $350 will sew anything you put in it.
I would love to see a picture of those rear panels. I’m really wanting to cover those up as well because mine are very faded. They are still in great condition but need some tlc  

I bought a sewing machine to sew the vinyl in two parts. Also I used vinyl from a local warehouse here in Houston. I was going to order online but it couldnt risk the color. I took parts of my interior to the warehouse to match the color perfectly  :classic_biggrin:

Id be willing to purchase and mail it to you if they need ginger colored vinyl  :thumb:  just pay for the shipping and product 
Thanks for the offer. I might take you up in it, I'll let you know.

Mike

@73FastBk " I have zero experience in sewing but took a chance lol."

Very nice!

I did use the sewing machine too long ago when i've done mine using suede leather.
But I did the opposite of what you did. Instead of sewing the entire length, I have made a warping template for the center piece, and the rest is folded. So it's a 3 pieces approach vs 2.
Not claiming its better, but it's certainly way less sewing and doesn't require skills :D As you only need to sew a small distance on the 2 sides of this middle piece, which was very easy to fit under my basic machine.

You can see here a close up of the sewing (while I was testing my brakes) 2 days ago 

http://closier.nl/k/testbrakes.mov

edit: at the time, I've only sewed the pieces together, when I'll do my 71, probably using Conolli leather, I'll prolly do a so called "french seam", which would look much nicer.  

Last edited by a moderator:
@73FastBk " I have zero experience in sewing but took a chance lol."

Very nice!

I did use the sewing machine too long ago when i've done mine using suede leather.
But I did the opposite of what you did. Instead of sewing the entire length, I have made a warping template for the center piece, and the rest is folded. So it's a 3 pieces approach vs 2.
Not claiming its better, but it's certainly way less sewing and doesn't require skills :D As you only need to sew a small distance on the 2 sides of this middle piece, which was very easy to fit under my basic machine.

You can see here a close up of the sewing (while I was testing my brakes) 2 days ago 

http://closier.nl/k/testbrakes.mov

edit: at the time, I've only sewed the pieces together, when I'll do my 71, probably using Conolli leather, I'll prolly do a so called "french seam", which would look much nicer.  
That actually looks pretty good. Never thought of doing it like that. I really want the French seam but I was worried I would mess it up. I agree that would look the best 

Did some tests for a couple of inches for french seams last year, that's actually simple. On my test machine, some cheapo Toyota that my wife uses, the only thing that was missing is a guide to keep the 2 sides sewing passes to equal distance to center one and reproduce the exact same path to be pleasing to the eyes.
This is ment to add strength, so for the dash, it's more of a cosmetic choice. In my case, once the pieces were sewed, I've glued it to the old vinyl to get a nice surface. I recall this was a more tricky thing to do than the rest. Next time, I'll seek for contact glue that doesn't stick that much right away.

As sewing machine, I'll order this baby when the time comes. Affordable compared to other pro industrial or leather specific machines. For thin vinyl only, any machine with leather needle would do just fine.

https://www.frank.nl/singer-heavy-duty-4432-naaimachine/225833

Last edited by a moderator:
Did some tests for a couple of inches for french seams last year, that's actually simple. On my test machine, some cheapo Toyota that my wife uses, the only thing that was missing is a guide to keep the 2 sides sewing passes to equal distance to center one and reproduce the exact same path to be pleasing to the eyes.
This is ment to add strength, so for the dash, it's more of a cosmetic choice. In my case, once the pieces were sewed, I've glued it to the old vinyl to get a nice surface. I recall this was a more tricky thing to do than the rest. Next time, I'll seek for contact glue that doesn't stick that much right away.

As sewing machine, I'll order this baby when the time comes. Affordable compared to other pro industrial or leather specific machines. For thin vinyl only, any machine with leather needle would do just fine.

https://www.frank.nl/singer-heavy-duty-4432-naaimachine/225833
Ya that’s a nice sewing machine. I bought a 50 dollar one off Nextdoor. Brother is the brand. It’s okay but good enough for now. I want to try French Seam, just scared I’ll mess off the distance. It’s easy to miss the mark when you have twist and turns. But man does it look nice :)

Back