Aftermarket Gauge Lighting

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmontes

Reaction score
Hello - I am installing some aftermarket gauges and want to tap into the dim-able circuit to power the lights for the gauges. Can I tap into the light for the cigarette lighter for power?

That's the blue/red system of wires.  You don't want to tap into the cigarette lighter wire, as that is always on, and the light bulb will drain your battery when the car is off, sitting in the garage. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Midlife! 

How I interpret wiring diagrams, it looks like I can tap into any portion of the blue/red wires... Next question, removed all of the old factory air stuff and installed a CAA system. Since I will not be using the old A/C selector, that plug will no longer be used. Looks like I can pull fused power on wire 181 (brown/orange stripe) off of connector B on the HVAC diagram for the new HVAC system?

Lastly, for the stereo - looks like 296A (wite/purple stripe)is keyed power for the stereo?

White/purple stripe is ACC fused power.  Good for powering a modest stereo.  I think 181 is right as well, but won't swear to it.

Back