Mechanical Fuel Pumps. Whatcha Got?

You can fill the carb with a small funnel and pour down the vents in the carb.

BTW my 73 has the original carter on it. The holley on my 73 vert went bad did not try to get the kit to rebuild.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The new one I put on in 2017 was a cheapo Delphi, DE MF0007 from Rock Auto for 15 bucks. Made in China of course, but it works fine. I run a 3/8 line to my Holley SA670 carb (4150) and have regularly

Well so far my Delphi is 3 summers old and no leaks................ yet!

I have all the flaring and bending tools to do it. Thanks again 

Posted Images

While waiting on the new fuel pump I decided to inspect the fuel filter (was fine), then bypassed it and the Summit regulator. Just wanted to eliminate them from the equation and not have any surprises. Max I could get running straight from the FP to the carb was just under 4. RPM's didn't change the reading either. Within 2-3 minutes all the pressure bleeds off, but carb bowls remain at the right level. Gotta have a hole in the diaphragm as suspected. 

EDIT - Also just looked underneath and what do you know. Starting to leak externally. Just a drop, but it's there. 

Edited by Big Red Mach 1

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

Born in '73 - Drive a '73

Former U.S. Army 63B10-H8

1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

On 11/21/2020 at 4:00 PM, jpaz said:

Ya that’s why I got the Carter since Stanglover already had a Delphi. We’ll have to see.
I don’t know what fuel pump is on my car that failed. It was new when I got the car, so it’s probably from 2013 or so.

Hey Jpaz, Watch this video and look at the comments. I'd inspect that Carter before you put it in. Seems like quite a few people running into this with their pumps. 

Skip to 2 minutes in the video. 

• Thanks 1

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

45 minutes ago, jpaz said:

Hey thanks for the video Big Red Mach 1, I really appreciate it! I will definitely check that out.

No worries John. I figured it was worth a quick 3 second investigation of your new pump before you put it in and hooked it up. Let us know how it goes. I hope to get my Delphi pump here tomorrow, and will still be checking for this before I put it in. 

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

10 hours ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

No worries John. I figured it was worth a quick 3 second investigation of your new pump before you put it in and hooked it up. Let us know how it goes. I hope to get my Delphi pump here tomorrow, and will still be checking for this before I put it in. 

Very useful video there. Something I did not think about, but now I know what to check for. I do not notice any knocking sounds with the Delphi, so hopefully I dodged that issue. As for Spectra pumps, I didn't see them on RockAuto, but as Spectra make our fuel tanks and sending units, I suppose it makes sense they make the pumps as well.

Good luck with the Delphi, hope I didn't steer you wrong.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

I have a Holley on my 460.  It is basically a Carter.  On my Clevelands I ran a stock pump with an electric for when I was racing.

Bob

Tachs, Voltmeters, Headlight kits, Wiper delays and more at

http://www.rccinnovations.com/Images/smlogo.jpg

Rocketman's Classic Cougar (and Mustang) Innovations, LLC

Got the new fuel pump on. Good thing I needed to change the oil anyway because the oil filter had to come off to give me some room. The A/C compressor and PS pump block all access from the top. Every time I see a non-A/C car under hood photo I'm jealous of all the room they have. That A/C compressor is a beast. 

I took the time to install the new T-Meyer fitting that lets you run the higher flow oil filter. I do have a leak at the back of the PS pump where the fitting enters the pump. Probably just a seal. Gonna need to address that at a different time. 

Have not fired it up yet. My oil on hand is Amsoil marine 20-50. I run it in my Windsor with zero issues. But have not decided if I want to run that or not in this Cleveland. Probably will. 

Before I lower her back down, I'm going to drain the tranny fluid and change the filter. Then I'll throw oil in her and fire her up. Should have results tomorrow. 

BTW- The fuel pump on the car was no longer a Holley. Same OEM type like these Carters and Delphi pumps. At some point the Holley must have finally bit the bullet on Eddie before he sold it. These darn things don't last do they? We have ethanol fuel out here, so that probably makes it even worse. 

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

I got the Carter fuel pump last week and the pump arm seems to be ok. It has very little play in both directions like it should and the secondary return spring is good too. Haven’t had a chance to install it yet, very busy with work. Can’t drive it now anyway cause of the weather, so after things calm down in a couple weeks I’ll be able to get it in. Plus I’ve been wanting to redo my fuel line with a new custom bent steel line from the pump to the carb. Perfect little winter project.

John - 72 Q Code

7 minutes ago, jpaz said:

I got the Carter fuel pump last week and the pump arm seems to be ok. It has very little play in both directions like it should and the secondary return spring is good too. Haven’t had a chance to install it yet, very busy with work. Can’t drive it now anyway cause of the weather, so after things calm down in a couple weeks I’ll be able to get it in. Plus I’ve been wanting to redo my fuel line with a new custom bent steel line from the pump to the carb. Perfect little winter project.

That's good. My Delphi is good so far also. I'm in the same boat. I need to fab up a steel line from the pump to my regulator, and one from my regulator to my carb. I bought all of the bending and flaring tools. I just need a couple of scrap pieces to test my abilities on. 

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

1 hour ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

That's good. My Delphi is good so far also. I'm in the same boat. I need to fab up a steel line from the pump to my regulator, and one from my regulator to my carb. I bought all of the bending and flaring tools. I just need a couple of scrap pieces to test my abilities on. 

I'm sure you've seen my pics of the fuel line I made up for my car. It did take me a couple of tries to get what I wanted and to keep the line at least 1" off the block. I also used as short piece of injector rubber hose to connect to the pump, a, as an easy connection and b, as a vibration buffer. Anyway, these aren't the best pics, but might lead you in the right direction. I used 3/8" copper lined steel fuel line 36" long with 3/8NPT fittings on both ends. I just cut one off.

img 0985 is the "around the back" PCV tube I made to make it look more correct.

fuel line 2.JPG

fuel line 3.JPG

fule line 4.JPG

fule line 5.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

Edited by Stanglover
Added more info.

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff! I knew you had some pics of how you did yours and I am planning on about the same. Also appreciate the info on the length of how much line to get. Saves me from figuring out a few things. Thanks again 👍

John - 72 Q Code

10 hours ago, Stanglover said:

I'm sure you've seen my pics of the fuel line I made up for my car. It did take me a couple of tries to get what I wanted and to keep the line at least 1" off the block. I also used as short piece of injector rubber hose to connect to the pump, a, as an easy connection and b, as a vibration buffer. Anyway, these aren't the best pics, but might lead you in the right direction. I used 3/8" copper lined steel fuel line 36" long with 3/8NPT fittings on both ends. I just cut one off....

Are you not running a fuel filter, or is it somewhere in line before the pump?

Edited by Idaho Chris
3 hours ago, Idaho Chris said:

Are you not running a fuel filter, or is it somewhere in line before the pump?

Good call. I do have a filter before the pump between the apron and pump. This has been criticized before, but I have never had a flow problem. I use the large steel 3/8" inline. Actually there was one at this location when I bought the car 12 years ago, so naturally not knowing any different, thought that was where it was supposed to be. I also have sintered bronze filters in the carb inlets. Personally, I do not like to see plastic or worse, glass filters, up on top of the motor. I did look at placing the filter just above the pump outlet, but not enough room under the PS pump that you don't see in the pics. I supposed that it might be possible if place horizontally off the pump, then up. That's about the only option I can think of. A note on that, routing the line under the pump was a bit of a challenge and the main reason it took a couple of tries to get it right. There needs to be at least 1" clearance from the block, unless insulated.

Geoff.

12 hours ago, jpaz said:

Thanks Geoff! I knew you had some pics of how you did yours and I am planning on about the same. Also appreciate the info on the length of how much line to get. Saves me from figuring out a few things. Thanks again 👍

Yes, 36" or longer depending on what you can get. Also, by buying fuel line tube, it already has the correct double flare fittings, but depending on how you connect to your carb, they can be cut off. Again I stress, any permanent clamps MUST be fuel line clamps, none of those damn gear clamps.

If you use a similar steel fuel bowl connection (Holley) as mine, the bend directly connecting to that will need to be bent past what the tool will allow, so be careful here.

Here's the tool I bought.

bending tool.JPG

Geoff.

14 hours ago, Stanglover said:

I'm sure you've seen my pics of the fuel line I made up for my car. It did take me a couple of tries to get what I wanted and to keep the line at least 1" off the block. I also used as short piece of injector rubber hose to connect to the pump, a, as an easy connection and b, as a vibration buffer. Anyway, these aren't the best pics, but might lead you in the right direction. I used 3/8" copper lined steel fuel line 36" long with 3/8NPT fittings on both ends. I just cut one off.

img 0985 is the "around the back" PCV tube I made to make it look more correct.

I do remember those. Trust me, I'm totally jealous. I have to run two lines, pump to FPR, and then FPR to Carb. My fuel filter actually. It's hard plumbed to the carb already.  

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1

2 hours ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

I do remember those. Trust me, I'm totally jealous. I have to run two lines, pump to FPR, and then FPR to Carb. My fuel filter actually. It's hard plumbed to the carb already.  

Yes, how it connects to YOUR carb and where your filter is located is likely different and something for you to figure out. On the pump itself, I was not able to find a suitable fitting to connect to the 3/8" tube and a reason I had to micky-mouse it using the rubber hose. The pumps were made originally for a 5/16" line/fitting.

Geoff.

My 73 mach 1 still has the factory installed Carter pump on it. The 73 vert i got that sat for 27 years had a holley that could be taken apart and rebuilt. it filled the oil pan with and extra quart of gas so lost new oil and filter to it. Put one on from Advance and it was bad out of the box. you can test with brake bleed vacuum pump. Got another at Advance and been good for 3 years.

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David