Tools required to take apart and put back together 351c

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmohring

Reaction score
My Car
1973 H-code Convertible, 351c 2V, automatic
I'll probably be pulling my engine this weekend and putting it on a stand (will be adding a post to individual projects soon). I've never done this before and years ago I had access to my dads equipment, but that's 4 hours away now. Right now I have the basic tools that most of you have like sockets, wrench, pliers, etc. and other general tools that you would use for more than just automotive work. I don't have things like impact wrench, air compressor, or any specific tools. I'd like to make a shopping list of things that I'll need, but I know I'll forgot stuff.

What are useful/required tools that I need for this job?

Thanks,

Most important tool:  

https://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Ford-V-8-Engines/dp/0895860368/ref=pd_sbs_14_2/146-4113489-1730943?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=0895860368&pd_rd_r=9cc885c2-fbce-4301-9e56-0e963a66f216&pd_rd_w=pHqeG&pd_rd_wg=mRTN3&pf_rd_p=ed1e2146-ecfe-435e-b3b5-d79fa072fd58&pf_rd_r=7F9WCHP5CB8ZH7M9QGYR&psc=1&refRID=7F9WCHP5CB8ZH7M9QGYR

I'd also recommend the 73 Ford 6 volume shop manual set if you don't have it already. 

You'll need a friend to help with the hood. Set it down on it's side, not on the rear "points" as they bend easily. 

Boxes of Ziploc bags, the Walmart 100 packs come in really handy - label all the bolts and brackets. 

Not related to the removal itself, but if you will open the engine there are 3 I can think of that you will need and should not even try without:

- damper/pulley extractor as this baby will really not want to leave the crankshaft without a fight

- valves compressor

- a dynamometric tool to place back all your super clean pristine bolts back in at the right torque.

actually 2 of these is handy, one for the low torque value and one badass strong one with a long arm for the heads bolts.

I would also get a good degree wheel and a dial indicator with magnetic stand.  Also, not a real tool but a great help is to get some 5/16 rods and cut a few lengths in about 6 inch or so increments so they can be used as guides when reinstalling your intake manifold. A couple good torque wrenches go a long way.  I used a 1 ton engine stand and never worried about stability rotating the engine, the 1000lbs one I have did not feel as stable. Take a lot of pictures and bag and tag all of the old parts.  Good luck, it's not that hard of a job, take your time and be patient.

Tom

A solid work bench, preferably with a metal surface. A decent sized vice, well anchored.

You'll be able to do a lot with your basic tools. No matter how many you have you'll occasionally have to add a new one. As stated previously torque wrenches are a must for assembly. Dial or digital calipers, dial indicators, cylinder bore gauges, come in handy. A variety of pullers, for gears and pulleys. For suspension work you'll need tools to separate the various joints. Good jack stands. I have a hydraulic press, don't use it often, but it is invaluable at times. Drill press. Anvil. Snap ring pliers. C-clamps, small to large. Crimping/stripping tools for electrical work. Soldering irons/guns. Gas welding outfit, arc welding outfit.

I started out with what I could put in a decent sized tool box. Then I needed a small roller, then a medium sized roller, then a large roller plus the two old ones. Of course this was over many years. Quite a few are yard sale and flea market tools, sometimes you can get some real bargains on high quality and specialty tools.

When you think about your Dad's tools think about what you use most or would like to have most.

Good luck with your project.

Working on an old car is a GREAT excuse to buy new tools! 

Since you will not be earning your living with these tools check out Harbor Freight. Their Pittsburgh brand tools have a lifetime warranty.  A nice long breaker bar, some prybars and a soft face hammer (brass or copper) will help in taking things apart. 

With a good 1/2 - 9/16" box end wrench you can take 90% of the car apart... for the remaining you'll need a 5/8". 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back