Door "Plate" Sticker on '72 Mach1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 "Q" code Mach 1
I've been doing some research on my Mach1.  When I checked out the Door Plate which in '72 was is a Sticker.  The lettering is not aligned.  Was this normal or am I looking at a duplicate or fake?  The sticker looks a bit too new given the age of the car.Door Plate (1).jpg

I believe yours is correct (or an excellent reproduction).  The offset look is due to the daisywheel type printer as used by Ford back then.  If you get a copy of your invoice from Marti Auto Works, you'll notice the same type of font and funky offset.  

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, MAD IRISHMAN
As others have posted, there is a 99.99% chance of your label being original. The 72-73 door labels have GVWR and GAWR ratings. Marti does not possess any original Ford documentation that provides that type of info. He derives his information from the Eminger report (Ford Invoices) which only contains standard and optional equipment costs. If your label is illegible or missing, he can make your label with those sections blank or can make an educated guess using similarly equipped vehicles with your blessing! :classic_smile:

Same as my Eminger invoice.  I thought it was a line printer they used or am I dating myself.

mike
From what I have heard they used drum and daisywheel impact printers - both of which were line printers.  A letter or call to Marti Auto Works might clear this up but I don't have the time right now.  :)

BTW I am dealing with OLD MEMORY myself and the storage medium (my brain) has deteriorated in quality over time.  LOL

Ray

printer font  invoice.jpg

From what I have heard they used drum and daisywheel impact printers - both of which were line printers.  A letter or call to Marti Auto Works might clear this up but I don't have the time right now.  :)

BTW I am dealing with OLD MEMORY myself and the storage medium (my brain) has deteriorated in quality over time.  LOL

Ray

View attachment 46696
The line printer I remember was a set of spinning wheels lined up to cover a page.

Think of a single line of letters/spaces a page wide.  The printer would "hit" all the

letters at the same time creating a line of text.  The page would advance a line and

repeat.  Again, this was '67 and I don't always remember well that far back.  There

was a "bang", the page would jump a line and repeat. 

mike

....But you know,..........I have a replacement door data sticker on my Mach, which I bought from Marti. My intention was to replace what needed to be there after a complete car body stripping and re-paint. I'm sure I'm not alone on this, so don't worry. It's just one of those things that will eventually need replacing. Funny, now and again someone will ask me about my car. I have actually caught myself saying " ...It's all original...", then I have to add "....well, more accurately, It's stock, but over the last 30 years I've replaced or rebuilt almost everything from interior to driveline to paint, but I haven't changed anything...." 

....But you know,..........I have a replacement door data sticker on my Mach, which I bought from Marti. My intention was to replace what needed to be there after a complete car body stripping and re-paint. I'm sure I'm not alone on this, so don't worry. It's just one of those things that will eventually need replacing. Funny, now and again someone will ask me about my car. I have actually caught myself saying " ...It's all original...", then I have to add "....well, more accurately, It's stock, but over the last 30 years I've replaced or rebuilt almost everything from interior to driveline to paint, but I haven't changed anything...." 
I was in the same dilemma back in 2016 when I stripped my 71 J Code Vert down for restoration. I wound up having to have both doors chemically dipped to remove the surface rust on the interior of the door (Arizona car... no rust. LOL). I was able to heat up the area behind the door data label and then peel the label off in one piece. I keep it with the paperwork I have for the car and of course, installed a Marti replacement on the restored car... 

Back