A set of D3ZE heads for sale in Ontario

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Just thought I'd post this here for now. I saw an ad for a set of Cleveland heads on Kijiji in Ontario. I asked for more details and a pic of the casting code. His ad said closed chamber, but the pic showed D3ZE and open chamber. He wants $300  Cdn. 

I have not seen D3ZE so curios as to what they are. Z usually means Mustang.

If anybody is interested, please PM me. If they were CC as advertised, I would have bought them. 

$_1 (2).jpg

If they are 4bbl heads, then the D3 head has 4bbl ports and Ford put 2bbl size valves in them.

Kind of an odd head, big 4bbl ports, 2bbl valves, open chamber.

I have a 65k mile pair off a Pantera.

If they are 4bbl heads, then the D3 head has 4bbl ports and Ford put 2bbl size valves in them.

Kind of an odd head, big 4bbl ports, 2bbl valves, open chamber.

I have a 65k mile pair off a Pantera.
Thanks for the info. I have since found the spec on them, you're right odd ball indeed. 78.4cc chambers, 2 V size vales and 4V size ports. I can't see the guy selling them, but who knows, I said I'd try to help out.

George P.'s articles about the open chamber heads are not as negative as many other opinions. Especially when talking about valve shrouding, he has some interesting observations about the flow of these heads. 

They can be fitted with the bigger valves and used with a pop up piston.

If one is inclined to use the open chamber heads, the D3Z can be picked up pretty cheap and in good condition since "no one wants them".

George P.'s articles about the open chamber heads are not as negative as many other opinions. Especially when talking about valve shrouding, he has some interesting observations about the flow of these heads. 

They can be fitted with the bigger valves and used with a pop up piston.

If one is inclined to use the open chamber heads, the D3Z can be picked up pretty cheap and in good condition since "no one wants them".
 Yes, but would someone want to spend money on machining them, when better heads are available already with bigger valves? I guess if they were cheap enough, like free, then okay. This guy wants 300 Cdn. about 195-200 US.

Yes, but would someone want to spend money on machining them, when better heads are available already with bigger valves? I guess if they were cheap enough, like free, then okay. This guy wants 300 Cdn. about 195-200 US.
I wouldn't unless I was doing a concourse 73 Q code restoration.

Or if you already have them. But, my thought was based on someone who wants to use open chamber heads in the first place. The smaller valves might be a bargaining point to get a decent pair of heads for cheap. I think I paid less than $100 for the two I have. Not because I needed them, but they were low mileage and cheap.

Or if you already have them. But, my thought was based on someone who wants to use open chamber heads in the first place. The smaller valves might be a bargaining point to get a decent pair of heads for cheap. I think I paid less than $100 for the two I have. Not because I needed them, but they were low mileage and cheap.
Yes, it might be worth informing the seller and offering a low ball price, but I got the impression he thinks they're worth a mint. As I said, I had no real knowledge of those heads as I have not dealt with anything 73, so glad for all the responses to educate me.

Hey, if nothing else, for the right price, they sit on your shelf until someone comes along doing the previously mentioned 73 Q code concourse restoration. Then you get to sell them for the 'right' price!

Also, check the date codes. As mentioned in the other thread (and I had forgotten about this), if they are early D3's they could have the larger valves already.  The small valve heads were also used on the 74 Montego/Torino 4v cars. I've only seen one of them, a 74 Montego GT with 4v and four speed....should have bought it.

Hey, if nothing else, for the right price, they sit on your shelf until someone comes along doing the previously mentioned 73 Q code concourse restoration. Then you get to sell them for the 'right' price!

Also, check the date codes. As mentioned in the other thread (and I had forgotten about this), if they are early D3's they could have the larger valves already.  The small valve heads were also used on the 74 Montego/Torino 4v cars. I've only seen one of them, a 74 Montego GT with 4v and four speed....should have bought it.
 Date code, I'll asked the guy for pictures of the date codes, but all he sent me was the D3ZE pic. I'll ask him again if he has not already sold them. As we are now headed the wrong way with this Covid crap around here, I don't really want to go take a look for myself. He is only about 50 miles from me, but still, are they worth it? Do you know approx when the change in valve sizes was?

Valve sizes: 4V 2.19/1.71, 2V 2.04/1.65. An intake valve of 2.10-2.12 and a good valve job would probably pick them up some. Chuck

Chuck-

Do you mean without installing new seats? The D3 heads ought to have hardened from the factory, correct?

The phase out of leaded gasoline didn't start until 1976, so it's likely you have unhardened seats.
 I'm still waiting to hear back from the guy about date codes and valve sizes. It turned out the price of 300 bucks in his ad was for a set of 71 CC heads he had and sold, damn it. So, not sure what he would take for these. 

Unless they are already recessed new seat shouldn't be required. Slight reshaping the turn to the seat may be required or at least a good idea. Depending on the build, milling he heads to increase compression may also be required. The 4V CC heads at $300 Canadian was a deal. Chuck

Unless they are already recessed new seat shouldn't be required. Slight reshaping the turn to the seat may be required or at least a good idea. Depending on the build, milling he heads to increase compression may also be required. The 4V CC heads at $300 Canadian was a deal. Chuck
Thanks Chuck, still not heard back from him but he may be working during the day. I will update later. I don't think I will buy them myself, but I can if someone else is interested.

Yes, missing out on the 4V CC heads sucked, would have been worth putting on the shelf.

Yeah the 4V CC heads are hard to find let alone at a good price. I only have one set left and they are Boss 351 heads, D1AE-GA factory cut for studs and guide plates. Chuck

Yeah the 4V CC heads are hard to find let alone at a good price. I only have one set left and they are Boss 351 heads, D1AE-GA factory cut for studs and guide plates. Chuck
 Lucky bugger! 

I had a set that were "N" heads with studs, but as I had bought them for someone else, I had to part with them. I also bought a set of D1AE GA bear heads, but needed some cash so sold them as well. I really didn't need the cash that bad! Oh well such is life!

Back