Jump to content

A set of D3ZE heads for sale in Ontario


Recommended Posts

Just thought I'd post this here for now. I saw an ad for a set of Cleveland heads on Kijiji in Ontario. I asked for more details and a pic of the casting code. His ad said closed chamber, but the pic showed D3ZE and open chamber. He wants $300  Cdn. 

I have not seen D3ZE so curios as to what they are. Z usually means Mustang.

If anybody is interested, please PM me. If they were CC as advertised, I would have bought them. 

$_1 (2).jpg

Geoff.

 I learn something new every day!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2020 at 10:28 AM, detritusmaximus said:

If they are 4bbl heads, then the D3 head has 4bbl ports and Ford put 2bbl size valves in them.

Kind of an odd head, big 4bbl ports, 2bbl valves, open chamber.

I have a 65k mile pair off a Pantera.

Thanks for the info. I have since found the spec on them, you're right odd ball indeed. 78.4cc chambers, 2 V size vales and 4V size ports. I can't see the guy selling them, but who knows, I said I'd try to help out.

Geoff.

 I learn something new every day!

Link to post
Share on other sites

George P.'s articles about the open chamber heads are not as negative as many other opinions. Especially when talking about valve shrouding, he has some interesting observations about the flow of these heads. 

They can be fitted with the bigger valves and used with a pop up piston.

If one is inclined to use the open chamber heads, the D3Z can be picked up pretty cheap and in good condition since "no one wants them".

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, detritusmaximus said:

George P.'s articles about the open chamber heads are not as negative as many other opinions. Especially when talking about valve shrouding, he has some interesting observations about the flow of these heads. 

They can be fitted with the bigger valves and used with a pop up piston.

If one is inclined to use the open chamber heads, the D3Z can be picked up pretty cheap and in good condition since "no one wants them".

 Yes, but would someone want to spend money on machining them, when better heads are available already with bigger valves? I guess if they were cheap enough, like free, then okay. This guy wants 300 Cdn. about 195-200 US.

Geoff.

 I learn something new every day!

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stanglover said:

 Yes, but would someone want to spend money on machining them, when better heads are available already with bigger valves? I guess if they were cheap enough, like free, then okay. This guy wants 300 Cdn. about 195-200 US.

I wouldn't unless I was doing a concourse 73 Q code restoration.

  • Like 1

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stanglover said:

 Yes, but would someone want to spend money on machining them, when better heads are available already with bigger valves? I guess if they were cheap enough, like free, then okay. This guy wants 300 Cdn. about 195-200 US.

Or if you already have them. But, my thought was based on someone who wants to use open chamber heads in the first place. The smaller valves might be a bargaining point to get a decent pair of heads for cheap. I think I paid less than $100 for the two I have. Not because I needed them, but they were low mileage and cheap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, detritusmaximus said:

Or if you already have them. But, my thought was based on someone who wants to use open chamber heads in the first place. The smaller valves might be a bargaining point to get a decent pair of heads for cheap. I think I paid less than $100 for the two I have. Not because I needed them, but they were low mileage and cheap.

Yes, it might be worth informing the seller and offering a low ball price, but I got the impression he thinks they're worth a mint. As I said, I had no real knowledge of those heads as I have not dealt with anything 73, so glad for all the responses to educate me.

Geoff.

 I learn something new every day!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, if nothing else, for the right price, they sit on your shelf until someone comes along doing the previously mentioned 73 Q code concourse restoration. Then you get to sell them for the 'right' price!

Also, check the date codes. As mentioned in the other thread (and I had forgotten about this), if they are early D3's they could have the larger valves already.  The small valve heads were also used on the 74 Montego/Torino 4v cars. I've only seen one of them, a 74 Montego GT with 4v and four speed....should have bought it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, detritusmaximus said:

Hey, if nothing else, for the right price, they sit on your shelf until someone comes along doing the previously mentioned 73 Q code concourse restoration. Then you get to sell them for the 'right' price!

Also, check the date codes. As mentioned in the other thread (and I had forgotten about this), if they are early D3's they could have the larger valves already.  The small valve heads were also used on the 74 Montego/Torino 4v cars. I've only seen one of them, a 74 Montego GT with 4v and four speed....should have bought it.

 Date code, I'll asked the guy for pictures of the date codes, but all he sent me was the D3ZE pic. I'll ask him again if he has not already sold them. As we are now headed the wrong way with this Covid crap around here, I don't really want to go take a look for myself. He is only about 50 miles from me, but still, are they worth it? Do you know approx when the change in valve sizes was?

Geoff.

 I learn something new every day!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Valve sizes: 4V 2.19/1.71, 2V 2.04/1.65. An intake valve of 2.10-2.12 and a good valve job would probably pick them up some. Chuck

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, detritusmaximus said:

Chuck-

Do you mean without installing new seats? The D3 heads ought to have hardened from the factory, correct?

I'm all ears! 

Geoff.

 I learn something new every day!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The phase out of leaded gasoline didn't start until 1976, so it's likely you have unhardened seats.

 

 

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...