Charcoal Fuel Vapor Emissions Canister

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
A few questions:

1. Is it necessary? Mine is only hooked up to what I assume is the fuel tank vapor line.

2. Assuming it is, how does one test it?

3. Are the canister to air cleaner tubes available (or does anyone have a spare to sell?

4. Is the mushroom vent cap necessary (mine is missing) and if so are they available (or does anyone have a spare to sell?

You can get 3/4"x3'  aluminum corrugated tubing very similar from NAPA or many other vendors. What I did to mine to make it look more authentic was to paint it with textured paint, any color, then repaint with flat black. The texture gave it the look of the original paper like material.

As far as it working, no idea. I certainly didn't care if it worked or not. For the cap. I'd just look around to find something similar, maybe a bottle cap or the like.

DSC00352.JPG

IMG_1074.1.JPG

Might not matter but the tube was over the shock tower brace not under. Pic was before I took mine apart to clean. One owner.
Yeah David, I can't be sure on mine, but my '71 canister is way lower than yours and may be the reason yours is over the top of the brace. Good info though.

Back