Eleanor observation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemikiller

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
71 XR-7 hardtop
71 Country Squire
65 hardtop
One of the guys on a 71-73 FB page was asking about what size rims the original Eleanor was running. Looking at the pic, it's fairly obvious they are 14" by looking at the inner flange on the trim ring. What I never noticed before is that the rims appear to have been widened. The face of the dog dish appears to be flush with the flange. Judging by the look, it seems the car is running a 14x8 or 14x9 rim. Wonder if they used Goodyear Blue Streaks....

126179975_10159349413028221_8565659572881380301_n.jpg

Eleanor was part of what inspired me to get my '73. I'd like to fit the '71 lower front valance to my car, but can't find any concrete information anywhere on whether its possible or not. 

They said in the video it was a 71, not a Mach 1, but with a 73 grill in it? In the video, those tires do look quite a bit wider than an E70-14
From what I read, they bought '71 Mustangs to do the movie, then shooting got delayed for a few years due to lack of funds.  When they did finally shoot the movie, they wanted to "update" the 71 cars to 73.  So they added the 73 parts, but left the 71 front turn signals intact.

From what I read, they bought '71 Mustangs to do the movie, then shooting got delayed for a few years due to lack of funds.  When they did finally shoot the movie, they wanted to "update" the 71 cars to 73.  So they added the 73 parts, but left the 71 front turn signals intact.
That's interesting info. I did not know that. I do have the original Gone in 60 Seconds on DVD, so maybe time to watch it again. By todays standards, it was a bit lame, but fun to watch regardless.

I certainly might consider the original movie "low budget", and "dated", but compared to the Nicholas Cage version, it seems more "real", both the car and the action scenes. The original movie , I read, was actually shot out on city streets, some scenes on streets not cleared by the Police. The new version uses a custom bodied Mustang reminiscent of a Shelby GT-500 ( but not actually a really one unfortunately ), and with all those scoops and flairing, etc,, one might expect the performance and handling to be more than factory. The original movie uses a Sportsroof, not a Mach or a Boss, so we assume it's underpinnings to be more stock, making each and every thrashing it takes, a marvel of endurance, even though we know many repairs were made to keep it going. The new Elenore wouldn't last through the dirt track scenes for sure.

The original movie still can hold it's own against the new version, however low-buck the screenplay was. Well, just my opinion..... 

I certainly might consider the original movie "low budget", and "dated", but compared to the Nicholas Cage version, it seems more "real", both the car and the action scenes. The original movie , I read, was actually shot out on city streets, some scenes on streets not cleared by the Police. The new version uses a custom bodied Mustang reminiscent of a Shelby GT-500 ( but not actually a really one unfortunately ), and with all those scoops and flairing, etc,, one might expect the performance and handling to be more than factory. The original movie uses a Sportsroof, not a Mach or a Boss, so we assume it's underpinnings to be more stock, making each and every thrashing it takes, a marvel of endurance, even though we know many repairs were made to keep it going. The new Elenore wouldn't last through the dirt track scenes for sure.

The original movie still can hold it's own against the new version, however low-buck the screenplay was. Well, just my opinion..... 
 Spike, Nothing wrong with your opinion, you bring up some interesting points. Time to dig out the "old" version again.

Question. What is the actual colour of Eleanor?

There are about 4 colours that are close to each other in 71/72.

Is it

6f - Gold Glow

6e - Med bright yellow

6d - Yellow

6c - Med yellow gold

6b - light goldenrod

In the movie it seems to change, but that's likely to be just the lighting on the day. Looking at the above video I think it is med bright yellow..

colour chart.jpg

Back