• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking For 1971 351C-4V Air Cleaner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of the large diameter air cleaners that were on the 71 Cleveland cars.   

One is a base by itself, the other is a full assembly.

PM me if interested.

kcmash

I have this 351C air cleaner that just came off a 72.  Looks like it had been recently painted, but there is some dirt in the paint.  Also, the snorkel looks a little lighter blue than the main housing.

IMG_6346.jpg

IMG_6347.jpg

IMG_6348.jpg

IMG_6349.jpg

Just a note, that one has the extension at the a/c base, plus it has the cold air rib to attach the cold air inlet tube. 71's didn't have that.
Thanks for that info.  I think this may actually be a 351-2v from a 72 if I remember correctly. 

Thanks for that info.  I think this may actually be a 351-2v from a 72 if I remember correctly. 
 I can't be sure on the earliest year either, but I know the extension and the inlet adaptor were definitely on 73's. They were made in Chatham and I remember working with them doing engineering changes. That was when I started work at Fram in March of 73. We only made the inlet tubes, vacuum motors and sensors. The shells were mostly made by Ford (or a supplier) elsewhere, but with Fram tooling to the best of my recollection. 

Any '72 model equipped with the optional NOX emissions system (often referred to as California Emissions) would have the flex duct and hard plastic air inlet. This system was a predecessor to what we would see on all '73 models. On some models, the flex tube was permanently attached to and was part of the duct and valve, while others had a plastic collar or snap lever that held the flex tube in place. Unless needed for a concourse restoration on a '71, the housing Mike @ Motor City Mustang pictured should work. (Especially if he offers you a very generous Black Friday sale price)! :classic_smile:

Any '72 model equipped with the optional NOX emissions system (often referred to as California Emissions) would have the flex duct and hard plastic air inlet. This system was a predecessor to what we would see on all '73 models. On some models, the flex tube was permanently attached to and was part of the duct and valve, while others had a plastic collar or snap lever that held the flex tube in place. Unless needed for a concourse restoration on a '71, the housing Mike @ Motor City Mustang pictured should work. (Especially if he offers you a very generous Black Friday sale price)! :classic_smile:
As long as icejawa doesn't mind the extra 3" length. The one shown would be for the flex tube with the clamp band. The question I would ask is; does the vacuum motor work and does the temp sensor open the flapper when hot. With vacuum applied to the motor via the temp sensor, it can be tested with the use of a heat gun or hair dryer. The problem is those little parts cost a ridiculous amount of money aftermarket should they need replacing.

Back