1 year into a project to recreate the 1971 Mach 1 I got new as a senior in high school 50 years ago.  I looked at several restorations around the country, but while they were pretty, the driving experience was dismal.  I can't believe my old car drove that badly, but I may have gotten used to modern performance.  After almost giving up on the quest, I decided to get a clean donor car and have a visually identical Mustang with a Coyote drivetrain and corresponding suspension upgrades. I found a 1972 fastback in WI and had it shipped to Desert Classic Mustangs in AZ.  They lost several months over the summer due to the virus but hope to have it complete by Jan.  Here's a link to photos of their progress and I'll also attach an old pic of me and the original car back when. 

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNDzOZDt8lrmWzQM2G6_lPLacVQydrd5Srf4H0BKXP5YGm-6U1TVLfE6NmoB5CC_g?key=MFZhQkd5LWZWRnEzeDRXOHJCWDhIZjdTM2VidV9R

1971-2 (2).jpg

• Like 1

Wow; that looks like it will be really awesome.  Can’t wait to see it complete. 

I’ll be anxious to hear about the coyote swap. I thought about it myself but man they aren’t cheap. I am considering trying one of the Godzilla engines in a Full-size Bronco (I am probably being a wuss but am a little more comfortable with a pushrod engine as a recovering Chevy guy).  I am surprised I haven’t seen one in a classic Mustang.

Anyway, very cool progress pics and am very happy for your progress brother.

Lazarus

9-C51-EEB4-A25-A-4-F27-8-D01-0-EB879931296.jpg

• 4 months later...

Lost a lot of time due to the virus but progress is being made.  Link in original post is updated monthly so you can follow along.

Looks like you are going all in on this build. Great to see a shop using a solid chassis JIG to do panel replacement it should be square for sure.
One thing I might have missed are they putting front and rear drive shaft loops in for you? If you break a U-joint it can destroy a car in a couple seconds. I myself would have to have at lease a 6 point cage also would have to go fast with that car. For sure looks like great work and they are doing fantastic job on the pictures also.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

This thing will lead a pretty easy life so no need for hoops and cages.  Strictly street driven and no hard launches with sticky tires. Just a stock 460hp coyote.

My 11 sec daily driver is better at that.

Which Coyote swap kit did you go with?

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

wow. Now that business knows what they are doing, extremely nice work. 

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

3 hours ago, TommyK said:

Which Coyote swap kit did you go with?

Combination of the Ford performance engine/trans package and Chassisworks suspension/brakes/crossmember/rear axle.  Lots of fabrication by Desert Classic Mustang in Tempe, AZ.