4r70w trans swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoColtrane

Reaction score
My Car
For those that have done this swap or are fairly knowledgeable about it (particularly if an FMX was coming out) what is typically done with the lockout rod. Is there a way to connect it to the new trans? Is there and after market product used to resolve this issue? Or, do most not worry about it. To present it another way, how do you prevent the new trans from being shifted when the key is not in the ignition?

Jo

I installed the 4r70w and just didnt attached any lockout rod, Has worked fine so far.

@Robsweden What kind of converter did you use? I'm going to swap to AOD this winter or soon after and it's obvious I can't really go for a 2.5k stall as I have now with the FMX. Running a 3.50 rear axle.

As you get +- 0.70 in OD, for easy cruising around town you're likely driving mostly 1.5 to 2k rpm. A 1.3k is safe but wonder if a 1.6k would not be as safe and more fun.
Curious to know what you have gone for and how that goes.

@Robsweden What kind of converter did you use? I'm going to swap to AOD this winter or soon after and it's obvious I can't really go for a 2.5k stall as I have now with the FMX. Running a 3.50 rear axle.

As you get +- 0.70 in OD, for easy cruising around town you're likely driving mostly 1.5 to 2k rpm. A 1.3k is safe but wonder if a 1.6k would not be as safe and more fun.
Curious to know what you have gone for and how that goes.
I used the stock converter, but modified it. stall is around 2300

Ooh, that's higher than I thought. No noticeable issues when you drive quiet in OD, say 60-110 kmph range as it's above the rpm range you likely get most of the time?

What's your rear ratio?

Ooh, that's higher than I thought. No noticeable issues when you drive quiet in OD, say 60-110 kmph range as it's above the rpm range you likely get most of the time?

What's your rear ratio?
Gear ratio is 3.50 , OD is fine from 70 km/h and up. I just tune it with the US Shift controller.

For this swap do we need a special flywheel? 
No you can use the stock 164th 28oz (351c), usually there is various pattern for the converter. The stock converter bolted right up to same flexplate as the FMX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back