Acceptable Upgrades

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M Beauchamp

Reaction score
My Car
1973 light blue convertible
351c 2V
Can anyone give me the low down on making improvments to your Mustang.

I understand concours as tring to bring the car back to how it left the factory, which is beyond what i want to do.

I would like to put a ram air hood on the car as well as front and rear spoiler, but is ruining the originality or value of the car?

If the car could have been ordered with certain options, is it accepable to add them?

At the end of the day, I just want to go for a cruise with the top down.

I honestly think you answered your question :D . It really all depends on how you want your car to look. " If the car could have been ordered with certain options, is it accepable to add them?" I myself add what I think will look good or whatever suits my taste, But in the end it being your car you have to be happy with it and not try to make someone else happy.

Build it like you own it !
+1 :amen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless it is an Ultra rare special car its all up to you. Even if it is its still yours to do with what you want. At the end of the day you are the only person who has to be happy with the decisions.

"At the end of the day, I just want to go for a cruise with the top down."

Well, M, you've posted the answer to your question. Post a picture of your 'stang here and we'll be able to provide some guidance. Without a picture, it's hard to answer, based on some of your other posts. For some reason I thought you had a hard top. ??

Doc

Mine is a 1 of 1: 1972 Sportsroof w/ 429 Thunder Jet, 9 1/2" rear end, ginger interior, power windows, and 7" Tennessee rear view mirror screws.

Only it didn't leave the factory like that.
lollerz OMG just had pepsi shoot out my nose

I have had my Mach1 thirty years. I've upgraded the shocks, larger anti-sway bars (added rear bar), larger wheels and tires, leaf springs, bushings, front seats, engine (2v to 4v), single to dual exhaust, 3.50 traction loc rear, steering wheel and added stripes, front and rear spoilers, shift kit, stereo and replaced the headliner and carpet and it's been repainted once. So, it's not very original anymore but the funny thing is you would not know it by looking at it.

My advice is the make the car run and ride and look better than it was new. Here is the before and after.

Rex

2ndmachsmall.JPGView attachment 4697

cobranewyears capitol smaller.jpg

The way I understand the Mustang Club of America judging rules you can add any options that were available, such as the NASA hood, for your year and still be considered concurs. But there are other judged classes for modified Mustangs too. As the others have said make it the way you want to enjoy it. Mustangs were made to be personalized.

Mine is a 1 of 1: 1972 Sportsroof w/ 429 Thunder Jet, 9 1/2" rear end, ginger interior, power windows, and 7" Tennessee rear view mirror screws.

My wife and the dogs are looking at me like I've got horns growing out of my head 'cause I knocked over the chips while falling on the floor. rofl Steve, you are one very funny son of a gun!! LOL :D:D:D

My wife and the dogs are looking at me like I've got horns growing out of my head 'cause I knocked over the chips while falling on the floor. rofl Steve, you are one very funny son of a gun!! LOL :D:D:D
lollerz I approve this message

Ok, let´s see: Mine was medium brown now it´s yellow. I had all the chrome moldings removed and the holes filled, I removed all the protection package (bumper guards etc) put on a front spoiler and a 1969 Mach 1 hood scoop, got a Mach1 grille, got some 18 inch rims and lowered it as far as I could.......... I´d say, Yeah, build it like you like it! :)

Unacceptable:

1. Hocky stick and 73 Mach I stripes on the same car.

2. luggage rack and spoiler on the same car.

3. Chevy 350 engine

4. shark fin on top

5. coffee can exauhst

Other than that... it's all good!

Unacceptable:

1. Hocky stick and 73 Mach I stripes on the same car.

2. luggage rack and spoiler on the same car.

3. Chevy 350 engine

4. shark fin on top

5. coffee can exauhst

Other than that... it's all good!
LOL! HOw bout a Chevy big block? Anyhow, I'm just getting back into the classic car scene and recently completed my first 1971 Mustang. Actually, it's not completed because I'm still intalling "acceptable upgrades" for my taste. Example: Rear window louvers. Not for everyone, but I like it. Ordered and will be installing soon: A/C system with aftermarket smaller Sanden compressor and not the stock larger and heavier York. Just did another upgrade from the older and heavier starter to a late model mini high torque starter. Another upgrade was the Wheel Vintiques 15x10 rear Magnum 500 wheels vs the stock 15x7's. Did a 2 stage paint job vs the stock single stage. CD Player, Amplifier and Boston Acoustic speakers vs stock 8 track player and cheap paper speakers. Lots of "Acceptable Upgrades" but acceptable by whom? Judges and your hardcore concours builders won't. You have to build it for you and your intentions with the car and accept it even when others don't.

Pic of Rear louvers , Fat 10" rear wheel and 2 stage sacrilegious 1970 grabber orange paint on a 1971 Mach1

r2w5tj.jpg

lol awesome

but as everyone has said here before its YOURS! not anyone elses any more, if its all origional and u wanna keep it that way great! if not there are a whole boat load of mods you can do because there fineally making a bit more parts for our years, i did a lot of adding on to mine some saftey up grades ie power breaks and disc, led tail ligts so people can see me stop and hid's for the head lights, then came a 598hp cleveland, aod ect.. you get the picture

LOL! HOw bout a Chevy big block?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! When I am at a show and see a FORD with a chevy motor, I walk on by. Does not interest me in the least, but thats just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions.

LOL! HOw bout a Chevy big block?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! When I am at a show and see a FORD with a chevy motor, I walk on by. Does not interest me in the least, but thats just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions.
I do the same thing.I don't even like to see chevys in t-buckets.When my kids were younger I taught them how to identify a chevy motor and look the other way at car shows.

Back