1971 mach Trunk bracket details and back panel holes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankenstang71

Reaction score
My Car
71 M code, light pewter 4 spd. ram air, no stripes, no spoiler, deluxe or sport interior needs compete restoration .
Hello all I have a few questions for a 1971 mach 1.   I have here my bracket that has been chopped up and removed with some material cut off bottom tabs from previous restorer...does anyone know how long these bottom tabs were before they were cut off?  Did they go to bottom of panel?  How was this bracket welded on top and bottom?  spot welds that you could not see or bumpy welds that you could see?    Also can anyone tell me the size of the holes the factory drilled in back panel that the mach 1 trim goes into?  They look like they were fairly large originally?  What i have drilled works but I want to drill it to factory size.  Pictures of welds would be appreciated,  thanks Bryan

back panel 002.JPG

back panel 003.JPG

back panel 004.JPG

Here are some pictures. The tape measure starts at 1" not 0". You can see where the spot welds are drilled out. Hope this helps. I can get some measurements on the back panel holes from my 73 that are likely the same size. I will post that later.20201210_155205.jpg20201210_155243.jpg20201210_155214.jpg20201210_155311.jpg

I used drill bits to check the size of the holes in the tail light panel on  my 73. I would say the holes should be 17/64". 1/4" is loose 17/64" pushes the paint out of the hole.

I took a couple more pictures showing where the spot welds are. On the bottom each side has two welds and the top has one on each side.20201211_093748.jpg20201211_093939.jpg

IA Rider's pictures are worth a thousand words.  I just repaired this bracket, as the bottom of one side had rusted off.  The lower legs are attached with two spot welds, and run to the bottom of the tail light panel.   There is a small bump where each leg goes, for them to lay in.  At the top, one spot weld is spec'd in the weld and sealant manual, but my bracket had 2 rather small tack welds.  As with all of these cars, variance is not uncommon.

I just replaced my taillight panel and welded this old bracket back in place. It fits perfectly and the upper welds to the weatherstrip channel perfectly. I put the lock catch back on last night and now my trunk lid is too low. I’ve adjusted the bracket as high as it goes and the lock as low as it goes. Still about 1/2” to low below the quarter panels. Not like this before replacing the panel but it all lined up when I welded the panel back on. Only thing I can think to do is drill out the holes in the bracket so it slides up higher. I’m just puzzled and wondered if others experienced this as well. I’d love to see other pictures inside the trunk showing those support brackets. I’m guessing I just weld them centered between the two bumper mount bolt holes. It’s confusing because there’s a smaller hole in between the two big bumper bolt holes. The Ford Parts manual doesn’t help at all. I ordered a body assembly manual in hopes it does a better job. Thanks. 

Here are some pictures. The tape measure starts at 1" not 0". You can see where the spot welds are drilled out. Hope this helps. I can get some measurements on the back panel holes from my 73 that are likely the same size. I will post that later.View attachment 46743View attachment 46741View attachment 46742View attachment 46740
This is too funny,  I never seen these answers to my post until today..thanks for posting. I welded mine in this last winter but thanks for the confirmation,  I did add "tails" on to mine to bring it down to the panel bottom. 

did you have your new weatherstrip in place?  It will hold the trunk lid up quite a bit. 
Not yet but the latch barely catches now. Adding weatherstrip will just push it higher and never latch. 

Back