Quarter panel extensions washers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
Perhaps these are part of an amk kit but I don't recall seeing them in mine. These appear to be a rubber encased steel washer that goes between the quarter extensions and the body. I have a few on my extensions as shown in pic. Does anyone know where I can get some of these? I know there is a small seal between these parts as well.. Is there something similar for the fender extensions?

20201208_210741.jpg

Interesting post as I just dug into this on my ‘72.  In the past I have always used an Autobody sealant or something called Dum Dum (I think that is the name), basically a very thick black play dough texture product that seals.  The AMK kit has black plastic or rubber washers.  I think I will stick with my DumDum, but I may buy the kit just for the nice shiny hardware.  I have a question though—my car was “previously loved”, meaning some well meaning but probably not qualified individual worked on it.  There were sometimes washers on the extension side of the stud and washers on the inside of the quarter; but nothing consistent.  Should there be both on all?

Last edited by a moderator:
There were sometimes washers on the extension side of the stud and washers on the inside of the quarter; but nothing consistent.  Should there be both on all?
IIRC, the factory was extension ->washer w/sealant -> panel -> nut with sealant

The AMK kit has the rubber washers as the sealant for the external washer. 

Interesting post as I just dug into this on my ‘72.  In the past I have always used something called Dum Dum (I think that is the name), basically a very thick black play dough texture product that seals.  I think I will stick with my DumDum
Will you stop talking about me like that?  Please?

Back