Terminal removal from fuse bock

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1 mustang, process of rebuilding the vehicle.
Hello all,

Newbie here. Just a quick question for the forum. I al trying to remove the resistance wire from the fuse block, sine it is a 50 year old car, just want to be careful. Is there a trick to get the terminal/connector out? Dues it come out through the front or back of the connector (fuse block)? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

You trying to remove the resistor wire from the square green box?  Use a small flat-head jeweler's screwdriver opposite the vertical space where the curves come together to bend back the locking tab.  Then push out through the green box.  Just be careful with the box itself: the three holding tabs are very fragile. 

If you are trying to remove the resistor wire from the fuse block itself, you can't.  Simply cut it and put shrink wrap around the remaining end.

My question is why? Why do you want to remove it? Usually it is to run a full 12V to the coil when converting to an electronic system. If that's the case, another suggestion is use a relay so you don't need to remove the resistor wire. This may depend on what you are planning to use for electronics. I know Pertronix have such a relay. I just hope you're not thinking HEI.  Most here will suggest either DuraSpark, Pertronix Ignitor I or II (not Pertronix III) or MSD. It depends on what you want for looks and what air cleaner you intend using among other things.

Midlife might get back and confirm on the relays. When I did mine, I cut the pink wire and soldered a 12 gauge wire to the pin. I wish I'd just left it in tact and with shrink wrap and inserted a new pin on the 12g wire to the coil, that way it could be converted back to points if necessary.

Back