Ford OEM moulding vs. "Made in Ford tooling" moulding differences?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible restomod
2010 Grand Marquis Marauder clone
1995 Impala SS
1995 Silverado 2500HD
1984 Prova Countach
1966 Batmobile
Specifically the front hood and eyebrow parts in chrome.  Are the materials the same?

I need a hood section, but definitely don't want anything from Scott Drake. Thanks.

I have not seen a new repo. If it is made from the original tooling it will probably be ok. The material is Zinc Zamak 3 alloy. There is not really anything else that would work. There is Zamak 5 but is costs more and is mainly used for it's higher strength in teller machines and such. Zinc die castings are very easy to make to correct size. Plastic is the worst you can make a different size part every time you run it.
The only issue I would see if if they do not keep their PH at right level in the quench tank this can cause issues with the plating. Most pits in a plated zinc part got there during the mfg. process and the PH level in the quench were too high and starts the pits. To get the hood trim tool hot enough to make a solid shot probably takes a while and lots of overflows to heat the tool up.
Who is the supplier of the parts? If Daniel Carpenter They do a pretty good job and plating shop in Tenn. does his plating if made in U.S.. He does have some tooling in Taiwan being ran also so they do the plating there. If you are getting from NPD talk to them on phone and ask about the finish.

Back